Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HELP! Circuit power supply problem. SHOWSTOPPER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dangerous

Hi,

I am using a PIC microprocessor to detect a pulse. I have the MikroBasic code working 100% in an EasyPic5, no issues at all.

The problem is that I am detecting a pulse from a separate circuit, with it's own power supply.

The final version of the circuit will hopefully all be running off the same power supply.

The pulses I am detecting are a 5V signal, so a great TTL source. However, to measure these pulses, I have to measure between this pin and 5V, with 5V connected to the EasyPIC GND.

Obviously I cannot use the 5V line as the signal ground, so what do I do? Do I have to use two power circuits?

I think a picture is now necessary to show what I mean..

(Copy and paste the following into notepad. Use Courier New as the font. Disregard the fullstop's).

............. ________ ...........................
5V --------->|........|................__________
.............|..Test..|................|...Easy..|
GND--------->|.Circuit|................|...PIC5..|
.............|........|................|.........|
.............|........|<5V------------>|...GND...|
.............|........|................|.........|
.............|........|<Pulse Out----->|...RB0...|
.............|________|................|_________|
Please help. I need a low-tech solution, and I need it quick.

However, to measure these pulses, I have to measure between this pin and 5V.

Why? What do the output pulses look like referenced its own ground? Perhaps if you posted the schematic of the test circuit (pulse generating circuit) it would shed some more light.

I don't have a diagram of the test circuit. It is not my product.

If you look at the output pulses referencing it's own ground, there is nothing to see. No pulses. Nada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back