Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help Building 0-24 volt 5amp power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksmeyer

Hello I am new to this world and I want to build a 5amp adjustable 0-24 volt power suppley.

I fould plans for a 2amp version of what I want to build but it is only for a 2amp power supply. The power supply I want to build will be used to power a HO slot car track.

I have provide a link to the design and I just need help on what parts do I need to upgrade to beef this up to a 5amp unit.

https://makeprojects.com/Project/0+-+24+Volt,+2+Amp+Bench+Top+Power+Supply/1428/1

Thank you

Be aware that a 5A, 24V linear power supply can dissipate up to 120W so you need to use a very large heat sink to keep the regulator from overheating.

Thanks for the input so far. Question would I have to use a large heatsink if I use a fan in the case?

Also is I were to add a fan any sugestion where to put it.

Thanks

If it is to run slot cars you don't need a regulated voltage. You can use the 5 amp transformer and bridge rectifier. A filter cap of say 2200 Ufd. might be a good idea. I would oversize the bridge rectifier for maybe 30 amps and add a thermal circuit breaker as slot tracks are prone to shorts.

If it is to run slot cars you don't need a regulated voltage. You can use the 5 amp transformer and bridge rectifier. A filter cap of say 2200 Ufd. might be a good idea. I would oversize the bridge rectifier for maybe 30 amps and add a thermal circuit breaker as slot tracks are prone to shorts.
The OP stated he wanted a variable 0-24V supply.

Wouldn't a fixed 24V with PWM give better control for slot cars?

Most (all) of the slot cars I have seen use a fixed voltage supply and some sort of hand held controller to control the speed of the cars. Is this how yours work?

The 24VAC transforer feeding a fullwave bridge rectifier produces 32VDC which is much too high.
A 24V regulator needs only 27V as the input so the remaining (32V - 27V=) 5V is wasted as HEAT.
Use a 20.5VAC transformer instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back