Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HELP !!! build a battery by using Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazafjash

Build a battery by using Capacitor (for example 9 V battery ). Now i have 1 Farad capacitor (Malaysia country just have 1 farad) , but i don't have any idea to construct a circuit. Can anyone help me ? the following is my design trouble:

1. slowing down the Discharge rate
- if i parallel 10 or 100 pieces of 1 Farad capacitor (tried to make a capacitor bank), is it really work for slowing down the discharge rate so supply voltage can up to 1 hour (time constant)?

2. stand by time
- the 1 F capacitor can store the charge up to 3 days by using active balancing circuit?
- but the active balancing circuit using op-amp which need VCC supply to keep the op-amp to operate. but my aim is capacitor bank store charge up to several days without any power supply. is there any way ?

Any expert can give some suggestion ? except the 1 F capacitor i mentioned above, is there any capacitor can match the characteristics that suitable for this kind of the capacitor battery circuit ?

What's the voltage rating of the capacitor?

Most 1F capacitors I've seen are rated to between 2.5V and 5.5V.

How much current do you need to draw and what's the minimum operating voltage?

With a single 1F capacitor, the the current is 50mA and the minimum operating voltage is 6V it will last just two minutes.

A 100 connected in parallel it will be huge and the run time will be 200 minutes which is 3 hours and 20 minutes.

What is the load? Resistor? Constant current load?

I forgot to say that a little 9V battery will last over three times as long as 100 1F capacitors in parallel.

What's the voltage rating of the capacitor?

Most 1F capacitors I've seen are rated to between 2.5V and 5.5V.

How much current do you need to draw and what's the minimum operating voltage?

With a single 1F capacitor, the the current is 50mA and the minimum operating voltage is 6V it will last just two minutes.

A 100 connected in parallel it will be huge and the run time will be 200 minutes which is 3 hours and 20 minutes.

thanks for your feedback.

the 1 F capacitor voltage rating is 5.5 V.

if i connect 100 in parallel make it a capacitor bank, and connect it to a voltage regulator LM 317 , regulated at 9 V, the current 50 mA, so the circuit can hold up to around 3 hours ?

but i didn't get your "minimum operating voltage" meaning. Sorry, i was new for 1 farad capacitor, i not really know about the supercapacitor.

As long my circuit can supply up to 2 hours at 9V , 50mA is already enough.

So, if the Capacitor BANK (parallel 100 of the1 farad capacitor) with larger farad, then the discharge rate of the Capacitor BANK will also longer ? Therefore, if i parallel more 1 farad capacitor, then the discharge rate will also getting longer than before ?

Last edited:
No.

The LM317 can only reduce the voltage, it can't boost it. The output voltage needs to be between 1.6V and 3V less than the input voltage, in order for it to regulate properly.

To get 9V, you need to use four 1F 5.5V capacitors, two strings of two in series.

The minimum voltage is the minimum operating voltage of the circuit connected to the capacitors.

The higher the current and minimum operating voltage (neither of which you've specified), the shorter the life will be.

I think using a capacitor is a silly idea and you'd be better off with a 9V battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back