Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help and Advice for project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewson

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting or actually ever being on this site but I am seeking some advice or help for a little project I had in mind. I want to hook my airsoft gun up with an electronic trigger system, there are many already available from airsoft retailers but they all have one thing in common...they are expensive 100$ and up. But I think I can do it cheaper, I just don't know how specifically. The "trigger" it has now would be replaced by your average micro switch. I pull the trigger hitting the micro switch and it sends the completed signal back to a micro controller that then takes the voltage coming in from my Lipo battery to the motor.. simple I think, a switch is telling a computer that a cuircut is closed and now to send a set amount of voltage to a motor. But what I don't know is what kind of microcontroller I can buy cheapily and that I can program easily to send the 11.1V Lipo battery voltage to the motor when I hit a micro switch.. if any of you know how or what I need to buy in order to get this to work, let me know :) thank you!

Welcome to ETO!
Why do you need a microcontroller? Can't the microswitch switch the motor directly?
What is the motor for? What type of motor?

Ahh thank you, I see I left out some important info in this. The motor is your standard long type RC motor that you would use in small RC cars and such, the motor is turning gears within the airsoft guns gearbox that pull back a piston inside a cylinder and when the piston is realeased by the gears, the piston goes forward pushing air through a small noxzel around 350fps projecting a bb down a narrow barrel. So the micro switch won't work alone for this reason, the motor needs a very direct set amount of voltage to turn the gears within the gun a very specfic amount of time. To much and the gun will over stroke, to little and the gun will short stroke, so the micro switch is just a button telling the microcrontroller to release a very specfic amount of voltage to the motor for a very specfic amount of time, and it needs to be easily programmable for this reason and what if I wanted to burst fire my gun? Meaning for every trigger pull (every time I hit the micro switch) I want to shoot 3 bb's which means that the motor would need to turn three times as many times as when the micro switch would be set up to shoot 1 bb. So essentially I am looking for a small voltage regulator that I can program easily to allow very specific amounts of electricity to go through for a settable amount of time, that also has prongs that I can solder 14ga wire too. I have no idea where to look for something like that, that would do what I'm asking it to do or if there's anything easier that I can use to achieve this. Just looking for opinions :)

I'd be very surprised if the voltage applied to the motor is changed at all, although it might need regulating to a constant value for consistent firing of the BBs. That leaves just the timing to consider, which should be straightforward if you're a programmer ;).

I've done a little research in micro controllers but I don't know a specific controller that would fit my needs

The smallest (i.e. having the fewest I/O pins)/cheapest/easiest-to-program one you can get should be more than capable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back