Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help/Advice please with battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrumSteve

Hi all - I have a TCU 24H battery charger that charges the 24V batteries for my hilti power drill. The charger has recently stopped working and although the green led comes on to signify power to the unit the red led does not light up to signify that the unit is charging and consequently the batteries do not charge. I suspect there may have been a short circuit somewhere on the pcb.
Could someone please advise me how I could identify which component on the unit is failing?
Any advice would be appreciated even if it was just an address where I could send it to have it repaired?
I have included some photographs of the unit (removed from its casing)just in case they help..
View attachment 60197 View attachment 60198 View attachment 60199 View attachment 60196

Any help would really be appreciated

The board its self from the top looks brand new.
The soldering on the back looks like crap.
Can you solder?
I would first resolder all the bad solder joints on the back, that may well fix it.

Hi Thanks for posting
Have some soldering experience so will give it a shot today and let you know how I get on

Hi I have re-soldered where the joints looked bad, unfortunately its still the same.
I was thinking about using a tester to to try and identify which component is likely to have blown/failed but I am a bit of a novice in this area.
Could anyone please suggest the logical thing(s) to test and what reading(s) I am looking for....
I know it may sound a bit desperate I have tried to get hold of a replacement charger and they no longer make them and without it I am unable to use the drill and just cannot afford to buy a replacement.
Any help is greatly appreciated

In your 'pic 2', which shows the transformer primary winding on the right, the copper track going to the top connection of the winding has a gap in it bridged by something which may have been a fusible component? Check for continuity across the gap. If you can borrow a multimeter, measure the resistance across the gap.

Last edited:
In your 'pic 2', which shows the transformer primary winding on the right, the copper track going to the top connection of the winding has a gap in it bridged by something which may have been a fusible component? Check for continuity across the gap. If you can borrow a multimeter, measure the resistance across the gap.
Yep check that and then check for AC voltage from the transformer to the board.

Brumsteve, before wasting to much time on this charger...1, most 24v dc charger's will give say 2 to 5 amps etc... so most will do the job if this one is ready for the skip...

Try reading the dc across the small bridge rectifier unit the small brown on the pcb.. plus check the large diode's to see if there's voltage there. looking at the picture there is one ic if you could it's number that way we could see what type it is and the same for the reg on there upright heatsinks.. so you say the green led is lighting up so there's some sign of life.. just one thing, on reading the your first post do you have electronics experience? as applying to much heat with the soldering can damage ic's and transistors.

see how you get on or look about for a second hand charger in your local diy store etc.

Brumsteve, relooking at the circuit pcb, what are the letters numbers on the ic's and transistors?....these small transistors might start with 2sa..... it's next one might be 2sc.... if so these just bog standard npn pnp types these up set up as on/ off switching indication for the led's.
you can also look up the data for the chip on the pcb at alldata sheets.com this will show what the ic does.. plus looking at the pcb there's a zener diode this is used for voltage ref so one led will turn on once the right charge as been reached.

let us know what the main devices are on the heatsink tabs so more advice can be given...

viva changing the following parts such as these components...ic, plus devices on the the small heatsinks..and carry out small voltage testing as stated..

some battery charger's may have there red indication led come on with no battery inserted and the green led will light up when battery is completed this is the case for my drill charger...

Todd.. hope some of the information out lined as helped... just one thing could you type in your components such as ic type and devices on the heatsink tabs so we can check there data spec as brumsteve is having the same trouble..

kind regards.

Tann-44

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back