Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help!! A USB related question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkdale44

Hello

I would like to ask the experts whether connections in the below diagram are correct or not? I wanna add extra power to my 10m extension cable.
**broken link removed**

No, the power is the Vcc line. Don't connect anything to the D+ and D- lines. Leave them connected between the USB socket and USB device. You also need to connect the negative of the 9 - 12 V supply to the -ve of the regulator, USBs and capacitors.

USB clients are allowed to take 100 mA and then negotiate with the host to take up to 500 mA. Having more power available may not mean that the USB device can take more power.

No, the power is the Vcc line. Don't connect anything to the D+ and D- lines. Leave them connected between the USB socket and USB device. You also need to connect the negative of the 9 - 12 V supply to the -ve of the regulator, USBs and capacitors.

USB clients are allowed to take 100 mA and then negotiate with the host to take up to 500 mA. Having more power available may not mean that the USB device can take more power.

Glad i asked... Thanks for your answer.. I have 10m (meter) usb able and i want to connect bluetooth adapter on it. Thing is when i connect the bluetooth adapter with usb cable and other end of the cable to my pc, suddenly my usb mouse stops working. Can you tell whats causing this? The mouse doesn't works again until i remove the cable (10m with BT attached) from pc's usb port.

USB max cable allowed is 5m. There are longer cables with electronic booster on them, if you are using this type then connecting external power can be complicated.
The reason for your mouse not working could be fault on the motherboard. If you connect another device instead of the cable and the mouse works then it is likely that the BT is keeping your PC too busy.

USB max cable allowed is 5m. There are longer cables with electronic booster on them, if you are using this type then connecting external power can be complicated.
The reason for your mouse not working could be fault on the motherboard. If you connect another device instead of the cable and the mouse works then it is likely that the BT is keeping your PC too busy.
Yes, my mouse works fine if i connect BT adapter to the pc directly, but if the same BT adapter is connected through 10m usb cable, then mouse just turns off and doesn't works until the usb cable with BT attached is unplugged from pc.

Is there any way i could use my this cable for stable bluetooth connection. I have heard there is this thing called usb over Ethernet adapter. Works flawlessly over the distance of 10 to 20 meters. I have 10m ethernet cable as well. But the adapter is expensive? Should i buy it for my purpose? Will it give me the same issue of mouse disconnect?

I'm sure that USB to Ethernet extend the range but it could be on expense of speed, it needs checking. I don't have experience with these adapters.
If you have 2 x 5m USB extension cables and a USB hub connect the hub with 5m cable to the PC and the BT with 5m cable to one of the hub inputs. It might work this way.
There is variety of products that extend the range of BT, try search the net.

Does the BT adapter work ok with the 10m cable when the mouse is unplugged?

I'm sure that USB to Ethernet extend the range but it could be on expense of speed, it needs checking. I don't have experience with these adapters.
If you have 2 x 5m USB extension cables and a USB hub connect the hub with 5m cable to the PC and the BT with 5m cable to one of the hub inputs. It might work this way.
There is variety of products that extend the range of BT, try search the net.
Well, i don't have 2x 5m cable. Anyway thanks for your advice, i will search on it.

Does the BT adapter work ok with the 10m cable when the mouse is unplugged?
Nope, it shows as "unrecognized device" or the "device is malfunctioned".

Nope, it shows as "unrecognized device" or the "device is malfunctioned".
That's likely caused by signal corruption as a result of the cable propagation delay, since you're using twice the rated 5m length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back