Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help 14 Led display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
I want to interface 6 led's that have 14 segments to a 8279.
How can i connect these to the output ports?
There are only 8 output ports for the display.
I have read the datasheet.
8279 datasheet pdf datenblatt - Intel Corporation - PROGRAMMABLE KEYBOARD / DISPLAY INTERFACE ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

Please help:(

I am very surprised to hear that someone wants to use this type of IC. I used this component in 1983 just to drive 14 segments display. Today this IC is obsolete and I don't know if you have in your hands the 8279 or you think to buy it.
Anyway to drive the display I connected the ports B0,B1,B2,B3,A0,A1 (from pin 26 to pin 31) to the address bus of two eprom 2716 (A0,A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) in order to decode the fourteen segments of display.
I know that someone can laugh hearing that components I have used, but it was more than twenty years ago.
I do not know if it is worth the trouble to use the 8279, by now forgotten from all.

Stefano

It may be possible, depends on how the 14 segment displays are wired. What you would do is drive each with 2 scan lines - one for 8 segments, then again for the remaining 6. You will have to set the 8279 for "encoded" mode and add a 4 to 16 decoder to get the 16 scan lines, 12 of which you would use for the 6 displays. You will also need drivers, that things not designed for direct-drive capability.

Can't I just connect the output ports OB0-OB3 to a 4 to 16 decoder
and use the first 8 outputs to select the first 8 segments in a led, and the next ones to select the other 6 segments?

Also, can you tell me where exactly do i have to connect the scan line to select the first 8 segments?

Why do I have to use 12 scan lines to select 6 displays?
I thought I would have to connect only the cathode pin from a digit
to the output of a 3to 8 decoder (the inputs are SL0,SL1,SL2) in order to select it.

You don't want to hook OB0-3 or OA0-3 to a 4-to-16 decoder because you need all those bits to work in parallel to light up groups of segments simultaneously. If you decode them it will only light one at a time.

You would use 12 scan lines off a decoder (connected to SL0-3) because you need to scan each display *twice*. They are 14 segment displays, too many segments to display at once with that 8-bit (OA + OB) output.

What's more, they will need to be 14 segment displays something like this one -
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/12/MDA6141C6341C6441C6941C.pdf
- with a divided common anode (or cathode) so you can drive half of each display seperately.

I really think you would be happier with something like a MAX6954 instead of that 8279. It was designed to drive 14 segment displays, it has built-in drivers, it's still available (!), has a brightness control register, has the keyboard scanner, and works off a SPI port so it doesn't eat up a lot of I/O.

Can't I just connect the output ports OB0-OB3 to a 4 to 16 decoder
and use the first 8 outputs to select the first 8 segments in a led, and the next ones to select the other 6 segments?

Also, can you tell me where exactly do i have to connect the scan line to select the first 8 segments?

Why do I have to use 12 scan lines to select 6 displays?
I thought I would have to connect only the cathode pin from a digit
to the output of a 3to 8 decoder (the inputs are SL0,SL1,SL2) in order to select it.

Thank you.
I'm waiting for your response.

If you hook those outputs to a decoder, it will only light one segment at a time. To create characters on a 14 segment display, you need to be able to light more than one segment at a time. The decoder would go on SL0-SL3. The reason you are using 12 scan lines for 6 displays is that you are doing each display twice, half a character at a time. This means you are going to need a display with split common anodes (or cathodes) like an MDA6141C.

I really think you would be much happier using something like a MAX6955 instead of fighting with this old 8279. The MAX6955 has built-in drivers, a character ROM, display dimming, keyboard scan capability like the 8279, and only needs a 2-pin SPI port instead of that cumbersome parallel bus interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back