Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Helmet LCD Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobi101

Hey all. I've got this idea. I'm making an Iron Man helmet and as you can see in this photo **broken link removed**
the eye-holes are somewhat small.

So, the idea i had was, I'd get 9 2" LCD screens (like the ones on cheap video cameras) and set them up inside the helmet slightly angled inward toward my face in a 3 X 3 grid. Then I'd get 9 mini cams, and set them up so they're facing opposite the cameras. One camera per screen. So the effect would be a one way face mask. Normal on the outside, transparent on the inside. Was wondering what you guys thought? Any suggestions? Oh, and does anyone know any Australian sites i can get 2" LCD screens from? Sry for the long post btw

-Jobi

Jobi101 said:
Hey all. I've got this idea. I'm making an Iron Man helmet and as you can see in this photo **broken link removed**
the eye-holes are somewhat small.

So, the idea i had was, I'd get 9 2" LCD screens (like the ones on cheap video cameras) and set them up inside the helmet slightly angled inward toward my face in a 3 X 3 grid. Then I'd get 9 mini cams, and set them up so they're facing opposite the cameras. One camera per screen. So the effect would be a one way face mask. Normal on the outside, transparent on the inside. Was wondering what you guys thought? Any suggestions? Oh, and does anyone know any Australian sites i can get 2" LCD screens from? Sry for the long post btw

-Jobi

Ah, another one suckered into believing movie special effects!!
How are you going to focus your eyes to look at a screen that close? Try holding a cell fone a couple of inches away from your eye, and all you'll see is a blurred image. The electronics alone will be a ******* to develop, as you'll need to process the 9 image streams from the cameras, ensuring there is no image overlap... Add in the data from your weapons and guidance system, internet feeds etc etc etc :D

Ambitions exceed ability with this one... But if you do succeed, I am sure NATO would want to buy the design!!!

There are heads-up display headsets with a lens which projects the view in front of you. The good ones are quite expensive. The cheaper ones obstruct your view instead of floating an image in with your view. However, that would be no problem for you.

Wasn't really interested in a HUD setup, although it would look awesome :p. I looked up prices and its $100 a screen and $180 a camera. So taking the advice of someone i know and just using 2 cameras and a screen for each eye it would come up to $600!!! Expensive! o_O
But then again it could be worth it. They also said a could try using glasses or a lense to help my eyes focus on the screens.

Ubergeek63 said:
Zomg, gimme gimme gimme!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back