Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hellp me to build laser range finder

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkani

Hi everyone!

I want to build a laser rangefinder and need your help.
I need a laser reciver circit .

Many thanks in advance

What is your level of electronics and programming expertise ? Are you intending to use a microcontroller or discrete devices ?

tnx picbits

I want to use a microcontroller in this poroject and i can use it and i dnt have problem about microcontroller .
the laser tansmiter is easy ,I need a circuit for reciver
??????/

Thanks blueroome

I saw ur link but it is difficult project and it is vision system
Any one can hellp me about PSD or CCD detector ? this device used in some range finder reciver .
Thanks for ur reply

thanks ericwertz
thank u for ur hellp
but how can i build a Sharp IR rangefinder ?
i dnt have problem to use microcontroller
my problem is circuit for Sharp IR moduls
?????????
Many thanks in advance

thanks ericwertz
thank u for ur hellp
but how can i build a Sharp IR rangefinder ?
i dnt have problem to use microcontroller
my problem is circuit for Sharp IR moduls
?????????
Many thanks in advance

Please, in the future, spell out your words as opposed to Text message speak,such as i dnt (Sounds like Dezi Arnez). If your too lazy to spend the time to hit a caps key and a o key( apostrophe would be nice ), then I am to busy to answer you...

Hi,
I don't have a circuit for LRF but I've used some of them. They usually use an Avalanche Photodiode for detecting the reflected laser beam along with a high speed counter.
When the beam is fired, it is internally detected by another photodiode to start the counter and the counter is stopped when the reflection (echo) is received by the avalanche photodiode. The counter value is directly proportional to range, Ofcourse.

Here the counter needs to be of high frequency for better resolution (30MHz counter gives 5 meter range resolution).

LRFs can be of very long range but they have a dead-zone in the nearby area i.e. it can't measure upto certain range as the detector is usually cutoff to prevent false-alarms occuring due to the internal reflections immediately after the beam is fired.

If your range is not in kms, IR range finder will be a better option for higher accuracy.

-----------
Design with Microcontrollers

Thanks CCDMy range is 60cm.I need 0.1 mm accuracy if possible to build it with IR range finder .
How can i build a Sharp IR rangefinder ?
Hellp me
Thanks for ur reply

Ok I'll ask again, why would you not simply buy one. It's doubtful you can achieve the accuracy of the Sharp modules and certainly it will cost you much more (and your homebrew one will be quite a bit larger). The Sharp modules don't use lasers but they do use IR.

Last edited:
What is "pay it foward?"

Please, in the future, spell out your words as opposed to Text message speak,such as i dnt (Sounds like Dezi Arnez). If your too lazy to spend the time to hit a caps key and a o key( apostrophe would be nice ), then I am to busy to answer you...

What is pay it forward? Is that when you're cranky and impolite to a stranger with the idea that it will encourage them to be cranky to others in the future?

Electronics is a very "pay it forward" kind of thing. As a kid, someone gives you an old oscilloscope or something and suddenly you can do and make all kinds of stuff you couldn't before.

You generally can't pay the original guy back, but at some point in the future you could give someone else starting in electronics a piece of test equipment or something gathering dust on a shelf.

Anybody seen any schematics for time-of-flight laser rangefinders?

Generally a pretty tricky hobby design. How precise do you need?

The original poster of this thread was demanding a design that has a 0.1 mm (100 micrometers) accuracy. Nobody helped him once his demands were made clear. 2 femtoseconds is a pretty tight timing window.

THat's like asking for the schematic of a motherboard. Everyone who has one is making money off of it so they won't give you it, and even if you had it you still wouldn't be able to build it. The cheapest ones I saw were $5000 (microwave radar not laser). THe laser ones I've seen were $10K+ (mainly because they were bigger and not OEM products). And you know the rule in electronics...it tends to cost more to build something yourself than to buy it.

Last edited:
What is pay it forward? Is that when you're cranky and impolite to a stranger with the idea that it will encourage them to be cranky to others in the future?

Pot, kettle, black.

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back