"Hello World" affecting other LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

warp_kez

I have done the traditional Hello World with a blinking LED.

When it runs, it affects the power LED by dipping it.

I have the power LED after the 78L05 regulator with a 210ohm resistor.

Any ideas?

I have done the traditional Hello World with a blinking LED.

When it runs, it affects the power LED by dipping it.

I have the power LED after the 78L05 regulator with a 210ohm resistor.

Any ideas?

hi,
Its possible that the 78L05 reg is current limiting, you could try a 7805 reg.
Whats the voltage source, mains or battery.?

Also what capacitors do you have on the +5V line.?

Last edited:
I have attached the schematic for the board.

hi,
You are showing a 7805 reg [1Amp] not the 78L05 [100mA].?

You should add a 470µF cap across the +5V to 0V

Whats the LED matrix made up of.? Rows/Cols ?

EDIT: its also advisable to have a 100uF cap as close as possible to the MCU pins 20/10 +5v/0V

Last edited:
I am not real good with documenting my work etc.

I just plugged the regulator circuit into LTSpice, I think I am starting to see what the problem might be. Without the LED, I get an output of 5.2v at ~120mA. When I add the LED, voltage drops to 4.7v at ~80mA.

Which 5V regulator are you using a 78L05 or 7805 ?. and the caps I mentioned are required.

The eye responds to peak brightness; by varying the LED duty cycle and using a big enough cap and a small enough series resistor you can probably fix this problem without dropping the perceived brightness.

The eye responds to peak brightness; by varying the LED duty cycle and using a big enough cap and a small enough series resistor you can probably fix this problem without dropping the perceived brightness.

Are you sure about that because I have varied an LEDs brightness by varying the duty cycle and keeping the peak current the same.

Mike.

Hi,

120mA sounds like a lot for a micro with two LEDs (unless I'm missing something here).

I presume you've checked for shorts, miswiring etc?

Other than that I'd suggest looking at the program and checking if there are peripherals enabled that shouldn't be. For example with a PIC if you have enabled analog input for a digital output you'll get a serious power drain like this, perhaps even damage the chip.

Not sure about ATMEL. I note in your cct your LED output is connected to pin AIN0.

Phil

I have redone the schematic.

I have checked for shorts, but nothing is obvious. I did run around with a knife to make sure, but that does not guarantee I got them all.

Attachments

• dev-board mkII.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 175
Well, I bread boarded the original circuit, and it worked exactly as it should. I must have a short somewhere.

But I am going to do the MkV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…