Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hello to all!.......New to forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stovebolter

I'm new to this forum and overall, new to the more recent technology. I took a 2 year Electromechanical Technology course at our local junior college. That was nearly 15 years ago. Wow. Things have definitely changed. I've been working in the telco field for a long time now (in outside plant as a lineman). For an lineman, a telephone circuit is simply put....the most basic of all circuits. Just extremely long. LOL's. Now I'm finding it necessary to relearn much of what I learned years ago so I can move forward. I've made a change in job title (transport/specials technician) and find that I'm in need of a refresher on a lot of subjects. And have also found that a lot has changed. Duh! I have some questions. I hope this is the correct place to ask?

What is a PIC? I assume it is software for designing circuits and debugging them before building one physically?

Are there any software programs that are real basic? I am trying to apply much of what I know and intend to learn toward my hobby.....hot rods. Right now I'm trying to design a single momentary switched circuit (start/stop) to latch a relay, or two. It will have to be done in three phases. Pressing button once will latch the ignition relay and fuel pump relay and keep it on until the third phase. Pressing the button twice and holding it will engage the start solonoid relay until released. Pressing the button the third time will release the latched relay in the first phase via a normally closed switch in the latching portion of the first relay and then reset. I am thinking I will have to learn again about timers and or a counter. I've been up all night trying to figure this out. Can someone help? I'd appreciate it.

It stinks learning something....not using it for years....and forgetting most of it....only finding later that soo much has been added. LOL's! But that would be my fault.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Welcome, it's 1AM here and so I'm going to bed but I'm sure there will be lot's of posters that will answer your questions.

Again, Welcome.

Mike.

Stovebolter said:
What is a PIC? I assume it is software for designing circuits and debugging them before building one physically?

No, it's a complete programmable 'computer' in a single cheap chip, you can program it to do huge amounts of things, and replace boards full of normal circuitry.

No, I think introductions like yours are acceptable in any forum area.

You should take into account that at quiet times there may be only 1 post per hour.

Mike.

Nigel Goodwin said:
No, it's a complete programmable 'computer' in a single cheap chip, you can program it to do huge amounts of things, and replace boards full of normal circuitry.

Do you have any suggestions for a simple software program for building basic circuits? I've been looking on CNET's site for a simple easy to use free program to get me started. Then later as I grow....upgrade. There are soo many. Not sure what to use.

I'll be working mostly in relays, timers, and counters. I just found a couple of my old basic electronics books. Got to remember. We just got a start in Windows when I graduated. I have no trouble getting around on the keyboard and internet but havent applied it to electronic circuits.

Any ideas? I'm all ears.

Dave

Pommie said:
No, I think introductions like yours are acceptable in any forum area.

You should take into account that at quiet times there may be only 1 post per hour.

Mike.

Thanks Mike. I will keep that in mind. I'm on several hot rod related forums so I know to be patient.

Dave

Stovebolter said:
Do you have any suggestions for a simple software program for building basic circuits? I've been looking on CNET's site for a simple easy to use free program to get me started. Then later as I grow....upgrade. There are soo many. Not sure what to use.

Never use them, electronics is about wires and components, not about playing computer 'games'.

SIMs can be handy for comlecated filters, switch mode power supplies, amplifiers and oscillators but that's about it. They also neglect many things such as parasitic inductance, capacitance, resistance and component tollerences.

Most circuits don't need simulating, you design by calculating the correct component values and programming IC and they work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back