Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hello, im a newby in here:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

theripley

hi, electronic guros out there.. im a new member of this group with a huge interest in electronics..my current job now requires me to be equipped with knowledge in industrial automation (PLC for instance)..i have somehow know the basics of PLC but now my boss wants me to be knowledgeable in PIC (which cost much much lesser than PLC)..i have heard of PIC when i was in college but did not have chance learn more of it..for a starter like me, what PIC kit must i purchase to fully understand PIC & hopefully interace future projects with it..i would greatly appreciate any advise..

bless you,
theripley

As you know PLC's are a modular component that have all the basic operating system, I/O, comm ports, and microcontroller functions built in. A PIC is but just one part of what goes into a PLC so it is of no wonder that a PIC device is much cheaper. It is like comparing a microwave oven to a magnetron.

hi mike:)

i thought of that too..also a PIC works with much lesser voltages since it is an IC, that gives reason for its price.. PLC programming is flexible & easy (esp ladder)..am i correct in saying that a PIC does not have much of this flexibility, i mean as far as programming is concerned?..
therefore, what edge does PIC have over PLC, aside from economical reason?

You seem to be confused.....

A PLC is a complete system that contains a processor, I/O ports power system and possibly other hardware that may be required for its proper operation.

A PIC (Peripheral Interface Controller) on the other hand is just a micro-controller, depending on the part number it can be 8 bit, 16 bit or 32 bit or 5 V / 3.3 V etc.

A analogy for the above description would be a car and an engine, a car like the PLC contains apart from the engine other components that are essential to make it work, for example: gearbox, a body, a battery etc.

The engine can be compared to the PIC. An engine cannot be used by itself, it needs other hardware to make it work properly, in the same way the PIC needs a power supply, extra hardware for interfacing to a PC or some other devices like ADCs or DACs etc.

I hope this was clear enough.

Visit Microchip Technology Inc. - a Leading Provider of Microcontroller and Analog Semiconductors for more information on PICs, you could also visit CCS, Inc. - Home

thanks
arun

Last edited:
I tried posting this yesterday...but the forum wasn't having any of it, so I thought I'd just paste it here anyway, sorry if other answerws have covered this:

Hmm,

I guess the 'edge' is flexability/versatility. With a single microcontroller compared to a full fledged PLC, you are not bound by the PLC's internal hardware. But that of course means you must add the hardware yourself. Circuits such as keypad matrix, RS232 level shifters, external memory interfaced with various protocols.

That said, I'm sure a PLC would be overkill in many situations. With a PIC you can just add the hardware you need, and optimise it for current consumption/voltage. PLC's are generally quicker to end user, as the whole idea is that its quick and simple, and does the job. However, once you are well versed in programming PIC's (assembly, or high level C which makes for much less coding time) you can have full applications up and running in a couple of hours.

Plus, these days, PIC's (as well as other popular microcontrollers) are full of peripheral goodies to make our lives easier, and to reduce chip/part count. Things like built in ADC's, with Vref and channel multiplexer, comparators, PWM, SPI, I2C, timers period measurement, you name it....making applications easier and quicker to develop.

As for a 'kit', well....I build my own development boards, but that isn't always cheaper. Depends on your budget and the end application for your development. A good all rounder would be the Easy PIC 5.

http://www.mikroe.com/en/tools/easypic5/

Not only does it include the most common things, like switches/LED's/LCD's but also you can just use those sub circuits as a frame of reference.
Massive, and maybe overkill, but its all there.

Note, also that site has a wonderful online book:
http://www.mikroe.com/en/books/picbook/0_Uvod.htm It has been (and still is) a great reference for me, and I've been programming PIC's for a few years.

Good luck! and I'm sure once you get started you'll begin to realise just how handy these little chips are. I've got loads of the 8-pin jobs around the house doing little tasks as well as the 40 pin versions for full systems.

Blueteeth

Last edited:
You seem to be confused.....

A PLC is a complete system that contains a processor, I/O ports power system and possibly other hardware that may be required for its proper operation.

A PIC (Peripheral Interface Controller) on the other hand is just a micro-controller, depending on the part number it can be 8 bit, 16 bit or 32 bit or 5 V / 3.3 V etc.

A analogy for the above description would be a car and an engine, a car like the PLC contains apart from the engine other components that are essential to make it work, for example: gearbox, a body, a battery etc.

The engine can be compared to the PIC. An engine cannot be used by itself, it needs other hardware to make it work properly, in the same way the PIC needs a power supply, extra hardware for interfacing to a PC or some other devices like ADCs or DACs etc.

I hope this was clear enough.

Visit Microchip Technology Inc. - a Leading Provider of Microcontroller and Analog Semiconductors for more information on PICs, you could also visit CCS, Inc. - Home

thanks
arun

very nice description, i learn PLC to program a traffic light. now i came across wit PIC ,its much more difficult to control a PIC or create a desire out put for a PIC .until now i just understand what is PLC and PIC zzzzzz i m so noob zzzzz:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back