Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hello Genius..!! I need a Smart Electronic Guru !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paporro

Hello Genius !!

Do you remember the car alarms that blink the car lights one time to ARM and blinks two time to disarm ?

Well I need to built a electronic circuit that detect that blinks ...

I explain ..

It is a circuit that feel two consecutives blinks .. and then close a Relay..

Yes I need to detect that blinks ..

The blinks have 1/2 seconds duration between each one ..

Please Gurus ..... give some ideas ,,,

Thanks in advance ....

Do you mean to say that you think there is an easier solution? I guess that depends on your definition of easy. How about a state machine in an FPGA. Would that be easier? Maybe a discrete implementation of a state machine, say 5 or 6 MSI chips. Would that be easier? How about some relay ladder logic. Would that be easier?

How about a definition of easy, before we go spending alot of time proposing solutions that don't meet your requirements.

Last edited:
What you'd like to build is not terribly difficult. Depending on what you want the device to do after it detects the light and also as a matter of design the lighting in the environment it will operate in (daytime brightness and different angles of light may present a small challenge, those lights are usually a pretty dim red LED also) there are a few routes you could go. Using a microprocessor, a small breadboard and a few components you should be able to make it work. If you can ask a slightly more specific question I might be able to give you a better answer. Is this going to be used for something important or are you just messing around?

My project is more easy ..

Thanks for the help ...

My project is more easy ..

The device will be directly connected to the car lights circuit .

the car blinks 2 times when the locks open..

I only need to activate a relay with 2 consecutives pulses of blink (12v)

I need to activate a relay in that moment ...

Suggestions ??????

And then what happens? Does the relay stay on forever? What turns it off again?

Yes use a microcontroller, that's going to be the easiest solution but you'll have to learn programming and you'll need a programmer.

Or you could contract someone to design it for you.

Last edited:
74HC4017 and a 2Hz osc... what is the hang up lately that everyone thinks every stupid little sequencer needs a micro?

74HC4017 is a Johnson counter, it can be used for sequencing lights (I'd suggest a CD4017 as it'll handle > 13V). The OP did ask for easiest solution.

Ubergeek63, how is a 4017 and oscillator going to help? If I've read the requirement correctly, the OP wanted to detect a double flash sequence, not generate one. What the OP needs is a negative edge triggered one-shot that activates an AND gate which lets the 2nd pulse through to trip a D type flip-flop.

Last edited:
You'll also need to do whatever you can to detect false triggering. Again a micro is going to be much easier than a bag of logic ICs.

Yes, a PIC, AVR, etc would make the whole job easier. Using a small 10F or 12F series PIC is the way I would do it. But it wouldn't be the easy way for someone with no microcontroller experience.

I like Ubergeek's suggestion, if the light pulses clocked a 4017 then it would work. The zero output would hold a timer in reset, output 2 would trigger the relay and the (2 second) timer output would reset the 4017. If two pulses arrive within 2 seconds then output 2 would go high and trigger the relay.

Mike.

how about charging a capacitor via a resistor and diode. if you use the correct values one pulse would charge it to 6v and the second would get it up to about 12, and a 12v relay could pull in

of course it would work when you indicate as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back