Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hello everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babidi04

I'm new to the forums and somewhat new to electronics. I've been reading a few sites here and there and so far I love it. Its really caught my attention. So much that I went to Barnes&Nobles to try and find a few good books. It was a failed mission tho :( I couldn't find anything at my local bookstore except for a few basic wiring books.

Could anyone point me in a good direction? Books to order online, sites that explain anything and everything. I haven't really tried any projects since I lack the materials. I have ordered a few things and now I'm just waiting for them to arrive.

Thanks in advance.

Babidi

Electronics Resources

If you don't mind reading at your computer, then there's no need to make a trip to the bookstore. There are a range of materials listed on https://www.eehomepage.com (click on the "References" button). If you are truly new to the subject, you might start with the "Electricity & Magnetism" volume of the Light and Matter Series listed at **broken link removed**.

Babidi04 said:
I'm new to the forums and somewhat new to electronics. I've been reading a few sites here and there and so far I love it. Its really caught my attention. So much that I went to Barnes&Nobles to try and find a few good books. It was a failed mission tho :( I couldn't find anything at my local bookstore except for a few basic wiring books.

Could anyone point me in a good direction? Books to order online, sites that explain anything and everything. I haven't really tried any projects since I lack the materials. I have ordered a few things and now I'm just waiting for them to arrive.

Thanks in advance.

Babidi

What did you order?

I would say start with google.com

There are tons of projects out there.

I don't mind reading at my computer if its not a long period of time. I had a friend of mine who in to electronics pick me up some books since he was headed that way. I'll get them from him tomorrow.

I am new to this but I've been playing with computers for awhile. Building my own and doing troubleshooting. I was going to go to college for either Networking or Programming...but the more I played with those ideas the more I realized I wouldn't be happy doing either in the long run.

I didn't order a lot. Just some resistors, LEDs, and a few other things for a little project I'm doing.

I did find a bigger project that I want to get started. I'll have to work on my soldering first and my ability to read schematics. Its SMT and I have never tried that. Ha! so many things to learn :p

If you like electronics and programming. I recommend you look for Nigel's tutorials, you will find him and the link to his site in the microcontroller group here.

That will combine the two areas, it is a lot of fun. Also, look at blueroomelectronics.com for educational kits and a programmer. Just my 2 cents. google for pic projects and see what others are doing as well.

I was more into networking and hardware. I'll give it a look tho. I might enjoy it.

Also, I'll be 25 this month and I feel the same now as I did almost 6 years ago. I have my whole life ahead of me and I still don't know what I want to do. After doing all of this I was considering the idea of being a electrician. Pays decent and I may enjoy it. My current employer requires a journymans card for all their electricians. I might look into getting one for myself. I have a lot of time to commit to learning the material needed.

*Rant*

FedEx sucks! I work 3rd shift so I'm not awake when they deliver packages and my girl is usually at work.... So the guy decided to leave my package from radio shack on the trunk of my car instead of by the door. If anyone is from Michigan you know the weather here has been crap. Well it was snowing when he did that and it was covered before I even got up or my girl got home. We usually use one car during the week since it fits our schedule. The package was sitting there for about 2 days before we noticed :( Damn them! I'll be sending a complaint ASAP. I don't think anything was damaged but you would think the guy would have more sense than leave it on my trunk.

Electrician? I think you might get bored, shocked 277-480VAC+ and work in places with no AC (AC="air conditioning" OR heat in your case).. Good part is you are not at the same place everyday.

After you run some conduit, snake some wires and core drill you will be over it. But the pay is not bad.. I have a couple friends that do it.

Learn the micro-controller for fun then :)

EDIT: Or go work for Fed Ex. They pay well, you are all over, they have heaters, and you can leave stuff at the door rather than on a trunk lid (I can not imagine the guy that did that, that was dumb). :D

Last edited:
How about getting into Industrial Electronics (automation)? Planning a production plant and programming PLC's, variable speed drives? i find it a bit more interesting....

its very interesting....my favourite company (brand) that I used to like using is rockwell automation www.rockwell.com
The only reason I no longer use them is because I got into sales of electronic components....i got lazy :p
But personally i feel its the coolest industry, its not monotonous....

Become a sparky / faulty like i am and get a job for the local powerboard.

It's a cruizy job and you are all over the place.

You will see some real fireworks and bangs when something goes wrong with 11,000 or 33,000 Volts.

A M A Z I N G ! ! in the dark when it goes B A N G ! !

Electrician is boring. Too limited scope. Go electronics or microcontrollers. There is much more specialization oppurtunities in these areas.

Go Nuclear?

Anyone have any advice on following the Nuclear route? how does one go about studying that? Here in S.Africa we have quite a few Nuclear power stations that the government has on the cards because of our demand for energy.... (still at the planning/approval stage now)

Nameless1 said:
Anyone have any advice on following the Nuclear route? how does one go about studying that? Here in S.Africa we have quite a few Nuclear power stations that the government has on the cards because of our demand for energy.... (still at the planning/approval stage now)

South Africa currently has only one nuclear power station down in Cape Town. The other nuclear power station is being designed as a FOAKE (First of a kind engineering) called the PBMR. (Pebble Bed Modular Reactor)

This power station (PBMR) will generate 400MWt and about 160MWe. It's currently only a demonstration power plant to prove to PBMR reactor itself.

As far as Electronics in the Process Control world is concerned, be prepared for a big surprise. There's very little that you can add to the Process Control equipment range without stepping on the manufacturers toes. (i.e. don't add any gadget or device to their system be it Rockwell, Siemens, ABB etc. etc.) It's the quickest way in the world to void a guarantee ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back