Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hello All!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lafam1

I might have posted this in the wrong forum at first so I'm posting it here now!

Here is my problem. My friend back in the early 90's built me this great gadget. It was a electrical box with a variable speed knob with a small circuit board in it. What this did was you were able to use lets say a motor at full torque at low rpm. It somehow sent pulses of electric out so at low speed it would have full torque. As you know if you have a motor on a variable speed knob, at low rpm it will not develop the torque. Anyway my question is I have the chip that is blown. I need to replace it but I cannot identify it. The only markings on it are GE C10608. Would anyone know how I would start to trace this down. I know there are other methods of achieving this but I really want to track this chip down. It must be somekinda timing chip. It has 3 prongs coming out of it.
Anyone?
Thanking You in Advance
Lafam1

Hi again,

Can you take clear close-up pictures of the top and bottom of the circuit board, or else draw out a circuit diagram? That might help determine what the purpose of the mystery chip is.

Torben

Yes I will...

but I will not be able to post it until tonight. Can you direct me to direction on how to upload a pic?
thanks
Lafam1;)

To post your image, instead of using the quick reply box, click post reply button, at the bottom of the screen is a button marked manage attachments. From there you can upload a pic from your PC.

but I will not be able to post it until tonight. Can you direct me to direction on how to upload a pic?
thanks
Lafam1;)

When you're on the posting page, scroll down to the box labelled "Additional Options". There is a button labelled "Manage attachments". Click it and a popup will appear where you can upload your images.

Make sure the images are as sharp as possible. For instance, most cell phone "cameras" are toys with lousy image quality which probably won't be sharp enough for us to see what's going on with the circuit.

Torben

Thanks

Thanks everyone I'll post the pic late tonight and get back with you tomorrow.
Ciao for now!
Lafam1

board pics

The black chip is the one in question. I heard a pop and one of the legs on that chip was broken. The outlet works it just will not regulate the speed of the motor. Can anyone identify this chip and where to get it? Close up it looks likes a piece of metal sandwhich in between 2 magnet like pieces, Also the markings are ge c10684 not what I posted earlier!
thanks
Lafam1

Attachments

• chip 001.jpg
    chip 001.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 267
  • chip 002.jpg
    chip 002.jpg
    711.9 KB · Views: 285
  • chip 003.jpg
    chip 003.jpg
    751.2 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
It could be a transistor since it has 3 legs. The pictures are pretty blurry, use your camera's macro function (Usually a flower symbol) for closeup shots.

Last edited:
It could be a transistor since it has 3 legs. The pictures are pretty blurry, use your camera's macro function (Usually a flower symbol) for closeup shots.

I was also thinking transistor or SCR. I haven't been able to find anything on the net with that number though.

I also agree that the images are too blurry to use. The macro function should help and if the camera has a manual focus mode then that should help a lot.

What camera are you using?

Torben

The black chip is the one in question. I heard a pop and one of the legs on that chip was broken. The outlet works it just will not regulate the speed of the motor. Can anyone identify this chip and where to get it? Close up it looks likes a piece of metal sandwhich in between 2 magnet like pieces, Also the markings are ge c10684 not what I posted earlier!
thanks
Lafam1

Did the pop occur while operating or were you poking around and the pop was just a mechanical pop? If the latter, maybe you have enough broken lead remaining to solder to and repair it. Just a thought :)

Pop...

The pop occurred when I tried to use a different motor that pulled more amps.
It was really meant for a small motor. Stupid me!
As far as the pics I knew they were a little blurry. Its a low end Kodak about 3 years old with easy share. I left it home so I will try again tonight to clear it up.
There is no manual focus as far as I can tell. One of those chips must be a timing chip. Like I said it still works there is just one speed now "high". The black chip has 3 prongs coming out. 1 on one side and 2 on the other.

Thanks for all your replies. i have patiences so any questions you would like to ask i will try to answer. i know this will take some time to identify.

Lafam1

By the way the pop sounded like a light bulb!

Last edited:
If you can find out the model number of the camera I'll try to find a manual for it online to see if any decent pictures can be taken with it. Otherwise try backing away from the circuit a bit when you take the picture.

If all else fails you can just put the circuit board on a flatbed scanner to get a good image of it. Take care not to scratch the glass on the scanner if you do that, though.

Torben

The pop occurred when I tried to use a different motor that pulled more amps.
It was really meant for a small motor. Stupid me!
As far as the pics I knew they were a little blurry. Its a low end Kodak about 3 years old with easy share. I left it home so I will try again tonight to clear
By the way the pop sounded like a light bulb!
Oh darn, I was having wishful thinking, but sounds like ya fried it :(

I have a Kodak easy share, you should be able to get a better focus. Try 1 of two things.

Option 1.
On the top behind the shutter button should be 3 small buttons. One should have a picture of a little flower. Press that one as it allows close ups.

Option 2.
When taking the picture stand a little further back and use the zoom thumb switch near the back of the camera. Use the viewfinder instead of the LCD to look for focus.

Still bad Pics

The camera is a cx4230. What a piece of poo poo. I tried the only close up setting there is. Its either on or off. I tried close and back but still poo poo.
I did however notice the the "8" in the number is really a "b". Maybe that will
help! I'm going to buy a wire for my razor v9m. It takes great pics. Then maybe I can get the pics to my computor to upload them. I dont have internet access on my phone (too cheap) so I cant send them that way. I visually inspected all the parts and I cannot see any bulging or burn marks a on any piece. I hope I'm on the right track with the black one because it was the only one disconnected.
Thanks
Lafam1:p

Last edited:
I did however notice the the "8" in the number is really a "b". Maybe that will
help!

Yep, that helps a lot! It's an SCR--a silicon controlled rectifier.

If you fill the location information in your User CP (look near the top of the pages on this site, on the left-hand side, and you'll see a link "User CP") maybe someone can suggest an appropriate place for you to order one from. Maybe order two or three in case you blow one again someday.

Hm. . .a quick Google search makes it look like this particular item might be obsolete. However, apparently Mouser sells a replacement: the NTE5455: https://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=qQW3XH23dRPnPasY9dt/jQ==

I'm not an SCR expert by any stretch of the imagination though, so hopefully somebody will correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Hope this helps!

Torben

Wow Torben!...

Thats incredible! It might not be to you but like a bloodhound on a trail you seemed to have nailed it! The link you posted leads me to mousers web site. i'm going to wait till the end of the day to order. If anyone has anything else to add to this be my guest. I'm sorry about the mis information in the beginning that would have saved some time on both our parts. After I order these parts i think I'll shop for a new camera. One that takes "CLOSE UPS"!
I hope I'm on the right trail with this chip. The pop I heard, could that be the prong that was disconnected?

Once I get them in I will post mt results!
Thank you all once again!
Lafam1 ;)

Last edited:
Hi all Again Torben...

I finally got my parts in. It just took me a while to do so. These do not look anything like the ones in the pics but hopefully with your help I'll be able to install them.
the ones in the pic have one lead on one side and two on the other. These have 3 leads all on one side so I dont know where to solder them. It also has a square metal bracket like piece coming from the back. I'm assuming this a mounting bracket. Or should I?

Thanks again
Lafam1

I have a question...

Does this circuit work with a DC motor or an AC motor (ie plugs into the wall) ?

Everything Works!

Just want to stop in to say thank you to everyone who helped me. I cant say I'll be regular but i'll know where to come for elec. help.

Thanks Again:D

Lafam1:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back