Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Heating element with 9 volt battery(ies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinhaag

Does anybody know how I could make a kind of "heating element" with 9 volt battery(ies). I dont know very much about electronics so simple instructions would be helpful. Thanks

kevinhaag said:
Does anybody know how I could make a kind of "heating element" with 9 volt battery(ies). I dont know very much about electronics so simple instructions would be helpful. Thanks

A heating element is nothing but a resistor, usually wound using resistance wire - it's not really 'electronics', just simple 'electrics'.

What sort of battery are you talking about?, and what sort of power are you hoping to achieve?.

Bear in mind, electric heaters take a LOT of power, battery power isn't something genrally used for heaters.

I'd like to be able to use a couple of 9 volt batteries. I don't want to create a flesh charring heater, just an element in which i can put a fabric over to make a type of "Heating Pad" Any pointers on how to do this sould be nice. THX[/b]

you can create warm resistors by using low values ( < 50 ohms) in series with a 9V battery.

Resistors have a maximum wattage rating. If the wattage supplied to the resistor exceeds its maximum wattage capabilities, it will warm up.

Use ohms law to calculate values.

You could connect two little 9V alkaline batteries in series for 18V.
Then connect ten 470 ohm resistors in parallel as a small heater.
For about 10 minutes the batteries and resistors will be too hot, after 15 minutes they will be warm and in only a half-hour the expensive batteries would be dead.

If you want a half hour of warmth then use ten 1k resistors in parallel as a small heater for two little 9V alkaline batteries in series. For about 10 minutes the batteries and resistors will be hot, after a half-hour they will be slightly warm and you might not feel any warmth after.

The little batteries are too small to power a heater for a reasonable amount of time, and their voltage runs down too much so the heat runs down too.

You could make a complicated "constant power heater" that would keep its same temperature for only about 15 minutes, but the batteries would be very hot for their 1st 5 minutes.

I got it!
Use a high power fan to cool the batteries and the fan would cool itself too. It would blow a little heat for a couple of minutes then the fan would slow down as the battery voltage runs down for another 5 or 10 minutes. :lol:

I've seen battery powered socks in some of the hunting supplies catalogs though I have no idea how long the batteries last. That suggests to me that there is some merit to the idea. My guess is that the socks are only effective if used with well insulated boots - so only a modest amount of power is used.

I'd be careful with anything you plan to package or wrap if the package or wrap is at all combustible - or if you plan on putting it in close proximity to a person. Even small batteries can heat a small conductor hot enough to start a fire or burn someone.

A woman went on-stage with her wireless microphone. She started jumping around and screaming. It wasn't part of her act, it was the spare 9V alkaline battery for her wireless touching some coins in her pocket and burning her! :cry: :lol:
The battery was drained in less than a minute.

A handheld transceiver that I was carrying got so hot the batteries (4 AA nicad) melted into the plastic enclosure. I was able to open it up and remove the batteries before more damage was done. Had I been wearing it on my belt, as many users do, I'd probably have been burned.

The new lithium AA cells have a very flat voltage over their long life. Their capacity far exceeds a little 9V battery or ordinary alkaline or even high-capacity rechargable Ni-MH AA cells. They have a max continuous current drain of 2A. They are fairly lightweight.
Check-out their 15 years "best-before" date!
Check-out their high price! I got some as a free sample for doing a survey about them and they keep going and going and going and ....

Attachments

• lithium_cells.png
    lithium_cells.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,584
Just fooling around with MS Paint:

Attachments

• lithium_cells2.png
    lithium_cells2.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,296
No, I don't work for and never worked for Energizer. They nearly sued me for exposing their "titanium in their expensive alkaline battery cells" scam. The cells had exactly the same spec's and weight as their "ordinary" alkaline cells and a few molecules of titanium drifted in from a machine shop across the street! A very dry (martini?) battery cell. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I gues you got them realy realy mad for finding out.

This realy got me laughing,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back