Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Heating and cooling device

Status
Not open for further replies.

czamps

Hi all,

I'm a first time poster here and need some help with some electrical math. I am trying to heat and cool a 10"x26"x5" (1300 sq. in.) partially enclosed box. It is left open on one of the 26" width sides for access into the box. I need to heat and cool the box to a consistent 10-15 (+/- 1'F) degrees fahrenheit above ambient room temperature. This will be powered by plugging into a standard 110v wall outlet. I am unsure as to what the load will be and how much power it would require. I would need the unit to be as small as possible and mounted to the side of the box.

Any help, comments or advice would be extremely appreciated! Thanks ahead of time!!!

I'm certainly no expert, but I think you have a problem... The big hole in the side of the box will allow cold air to spill out the bottom pulling warm air into the top of the box making for a big gradient from top to bottom. Try it with your freezer.:D

You said you need it to be 10° to 15°F above ambient, so you will always be heating, never cooling.[SUP](1)[/SUP]

But I will agree with Ron that, with one of the biggest side open, you will have a lot of air flowing in and out of the box. Remember, hot air rises. Does the side need to stay open? Can you have a door that closes to help contain the air?

Note 1: Unless there is something else in the box generating heat. If so, you need to know how much heat it generates.

Ooops, above ambient....:eek: Well, still the same problem except as Chris says the warm air will rise, but at least it is easier to heat than to cool. Maybe an air curtain like you see sometimes in the supermarket where they want to leave the door open to the outside. You could control the temperature of a fairly large volume of air and circulate it from the top to the bottom of the opening with some fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back