Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

heated mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnz

Hi there!

Long time interest in electronics and a desire to start my first home project has me thinking I'd like to try to make a heated mirror in the bathroom.

Being a complete newbie to the field but comfortable enough with tools and with experimentation I am looking for some basic advice and /or pointers to get started. Namely:

- I assume I will use resistors to generate the modest amount of heat needed to keep the mirror fog free
- considerations regarding voltage regulation - simple oscillator or would a thermometer setting be advisable to trigger on / off? If so, is it possible to set a specific operating range so that the circuit isn't always being triggered on immediately after the 1st degree drop in temp?
- would I line the back of the mirror with a heat sink to hold heat or is the glass a good enough sink?
- out of simple interest, if I was wanting to design a DC (battery or solar powered) version of this what would be the considerations?
- any other considerations to take into mind?

Thanks!!

John

Welcome to the forum!
One consideration is getting a uniform distribution of heat. That would require either an extensive array of individual resistors or else something like a zig-zagged length of heating element.
You may be surprised at how much power is needed to de-fog the mirror in a steamed-up bathroom.
Don't know where you live, but local regs may prevent the use of portable mains-powered devices in bathrooms, on safety grounds.
Since the dew-point depends on humidity level, triggering the heater at a set temperature may not be feasible.
Heating power (averaged) could be done with oscillator-based PWM.

Alec,

Thanks for this quick and thoughtful response. As I thought about it last night I started to wonder about the safety aspects you mentioned but hadn't considered the dew point or distribution considerations you bring to mind. Perhaps I will pass on this.

At the risk of sounding foolish and / or annoying you for not having spent the time looking myself are there any threads here that contain a "fun" project I could get my hands dirty with to get started?

Also, might as well throw this out too. My nephew is 7 and is very inquisitive. Any suggestions for a project that would be fun to do together with a smart kid of that age?

Thanks!

A cork motor with a needle and some copper wire. Flashing lights with a transistor multivibrator circuit. Noise generators, simple sirens using a 555 timer. Combine the previous two and build a wire hoop game with the siren and flashing lights. A simple AM radio receiver consisting of a couple of transistors and a few passives, let him wind the antenna on a ferrite rod, the list is endless :D

There you go. Tunedwolf has suggested some good projects for you and your nephew to enjoy.

Thanks guys, I will look some of these up. Appreciate the feedback and the patience with the newbie..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back