Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

heat switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

hjl4

I know this can be done, but how does one wire a heat switch, to a fan, without it carrying all of the curent required by the motor?

In series would mean all the power would go thru the switch and then the motor.
I have no idea what this switch's rating is other then 80 C is cut in temp.

The wires coming out are 18gauge.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. fan runs on AC power. Part of a wood stove. Also trying to isolate the switch so mains power never reaches the stove, for safety.

Is a relay the only way?

hjl4 said:
Is a relay the only way?

It's not the only way, but it's the easiest way (and probably the most reliable?). You could use a triac cicuit to do the switching, but it's far more complicated for no particularly good reason.

hjl4 said:
I know this can be done, but how does one wire a heat switch, to a fan, without it carrying all of the curent required by the motor?

In series would mean all the power would go thru the switch and then the motor.
I have no idea what this switch's rating is other then 80 C is cut in temp.

The wires coming out are 18gauge.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. fan runs on AC power. Part of a wood stove. Also trying to isolate the switch so mains power never reaches the stove, for safety.

Is a relay the only way?
use a separate power supply like dc and use one of those tempiture switches that shut off at certain tempiture yoiu will find them inside microwave ovens they are screwed to the magnetron , this will giude you

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back