Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Headset question,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sketchy

I have this set up, and was wondering if this is a plausible setup for a headset I am working on. If not, could you help me fix any mistakes? (the pic isn't to scale, it's just for theoretical reference)
Thanks in advanced,
--Sketchy
View attachment 64264
the subs on the little speakers are not meant to be real "subs" just secondary.

Last edited:
Most headsets are stereo, aren't they? You have two headsets with the same signal in each ear which is mono.

We don't know if your music source can drive two sets of headsets that are in parallel.

if it's a headset, it's gonna be kind of awkward. i remember some manufacturers making quad headphones back in the 70's and 80's. the front/back separation wasn't all that good.

This has the pattern for the left side, and it would be set up the same for the right.
The red would be the lead, and the blue is the return.
The above post is concept, would the wiring I presented work?
View attachment 64266
(original layout)

Last edited:
Do you have four or five tiny speakers inside each earphone? Why? Most headphones use a single wide-range speaker in each earphone that works perfectly.

Your sketch does not show the polarity of each speaker (plus wire and minus wire) so we don't know if some of them are out-of-phase.

All five little speakers will produce the same sounds as one so why bother using five?
I think one larger speaker will sound much better than four or five tiny speakers.

I know, I just wanted to know If I could potentially use the set-up. I'm just exploring possibilities you know?
Thanks for the assistance though.

One high quality larger speaker sounds much better than five poor quality cheap little speakers.

Many years ago, a magazine (Popular Electronics?) published The Sweet Sixteen speaker project. It used sixteen different cheap little speakers thinking that their differences in frequency response will average out.
It sounded horrible!

None of the cheap little speakers produced deep bass sounds. Most resonated badly at upper bass frequencies which produced a BOOMY sound. Most had upper midrange resonances that produced a SHRIEKY sound. Because they had a wide total area their total sound was extremely directional.

How about a triangle of speakers consisting of a mid (ordinary), tweeter and mini woofer? It sounds like that would work better than what I currently have.

A woofer is way too large (6.5" diameter minimum) for a headset.

High quality over-the ear headphones use high quality wideband little speakers.

those tiny little earphones only reproduce bass if they are in your ear, coupled to your ear canal directly. used in the manner you are proposing, will only reproduce high mids and highs. the reason headphone manufacturers use a 3 or 4 inch driver, is that is the size required to reproduce full range response in the space of a headphone cup. again the headphone is somewhat directly coupled to the ear canal, but instead of moving an air column of a fraction of a cubic inch (which is what the ear bud is designed for), the air column is several cubic inches, so requires a larger driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back