Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Headphones usually playing left side only (but sometimes right side too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorguruga

I have some bluetooth headphones which only play out of one ear most of the time. The left earpiece (which contains the on/off and volume switch) always works fine, but the right earpiece doesn't play unless I twist the left earpiece slowly, then the right side plays for a while but soon stops playing again. I've checked inside the left earpiece and there are no lose wires however there are some wires which seem slightly frayed. Not sure what to do, and what I should be looking for? I have a soldering iron but all the wires seem soldered into place already. Any ideas?

Link to commercial site removed - moderator
QHJ4P42XC2J.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds as though the wires from one earpiece to the other are broken.
This often happens under the insulation, usually where the wire goes in/out of the earpiece.

JimB

It sounds as though the wires from one earpiece to the other are broken.
This often happens under the insulation, usually where the wire goes in/out of the earpiece.

JimB

Cheers Jim, it looks like the red wire has some of it's red scratched off. It's somewhat frayed and you can see silver wire underneath. The thing is, this wire is soldered on to the left ear piece (which always works), and then the other end of the wire is soldered onto the circuit board within the other half of the left earpiece. Could this frayed wire connecting the left earpiece to the circuit board cause audio dropout in the right earpiece? Or is the problem likely to be elsewhere?

That is very unlikely to be tha cause of your fault. It is MUCH more likely to be the wire (With two conductors in it.) from the circuit board in the casing of the left hand earpiece to the earpiece on the right hand side as Jim has already said. The fault is most likely to be in the short loop of cable between one of the earpieces and where it goes into the moulding of the headband. Check for continuity of both of the coductors in the wire that goes across the headband with your mutimeter. Make sure that there is always continuity when the earpieces are moved with respect to the headband. If it is the wire that is faulty then replace it with a new piece of wire.
Les.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back