Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Headphone volume control

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankwas

Hi all.

I would like to build a simple, but good quality headphone volume control for a 32 Ohm Sennheiser headphone.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

The Frank

A good quality pot is all that should be required (a dual pot will adjust the volume the same ammount for each channel)

Some people (such as **broken link removed**) prefer slightly more complicated volume controls, but personnaly, I fell that a normal pot is sufficient.

Tim

Thanks A lot.

I think I'll use your idea. However, I don't know which pot to use. Can you help me on that?

Thanks.

The Frank

errr, any value between about 10K and 100K should be fine. Personally I use 47K for volume controls. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

As for a type of pot, linear is probably best, and some shops sell 'high quality audio' pots, it just depends how much money you have to spend.

Something I just though, you can buy headphone extension cables with volume controls built in - its easier, but you will pay more for a ready made one...

Tim

grrr_arrghh said:
Something I just though, you can buy headphone extension cables with volume controls built in - its easier, but you will pay more for a ready made one...

I seriously doubt that...
It's often cheaper to buy a ready-made cable then making it yourself...

Thanks all for your input. Unfortunately I live in South Africa (I am white if you are wondering), and we are not really 'up to date' in those sort of things. I've never seen a cable extension with a built in volume control in any shop, anywhere in South Africa. Anyway, thanks 4 everyhing guys.

The Frank

frankwas said:
Thanks all for your input. Unfortunately I live in South Africa (I am white if you are wondering), and we are not really 'up to date' in those sort of things. I've never seen a cable extension with a built in volume control in any shop, anywhere in South Africa. Anyway, thanks 4 everyhing guys.

The Frank

So you're white? PHEW!!! I was worried there for a minute..
LOL! just kidding.. electrons see no color my friend.

Consider ripping up some old electronics, like radio etc... lots of pots to be had.

Consider ordering one online if you can get it shipped there or even find some great deal on ebay etc...

Exo said:
grrr_arrghh said:
I seriously doubt that...
It's often cheaper to buy a ready-made cable then making it yourself...

you reckon? I admit I hadn't actually looked at prices, I was sort of guessing....

anyway, as Optikon said, try ordering online. I know for a fact that https://www.maplin.co.uk/ sell a headphone extension cable with a built in volume control. I don't know what their shipping costs to S. Africa will be though...

P.S. purely out of interest, why did you feel the need to say that you were white?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back