Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

headphone volume control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wp100

Hi,

Have a TV with a headphone output , specs "for 16 ohm headphones" and it works fine with my 32 ohm headphones and earbuds etc but even at the tvs lowest volume setting it can be too loud on some programs though the phones, so I got one of the ebay volume controls, which has one of those thumbwheel 1k controls.

Trouble is it sounds all wrong, though the cables look ok and the control is wired the correct way, possibly got a bad one.

So, can I first ask, if those little volume controls are the right type for my needs and any recommended good makes (Uk available)

Second, I really only need a simple fixed reduction say 50%, so a fixed resistor/pot divider seems suitable, though what are the best values to use, as seems from what I have read the lower the better to avoid impedance mismatch ??

thanks

Trouble is it sounds all wrong
You gave no explanation. No bass? Boomy bass? No treble? Distorted?
What was the ebay volume control made for?

Maybe it is made for mono then its output jack connects both ear speakers of your headphones out-of-phase that "sounds all wrong".
Maybe it puts resistance in series with the ear speakers then without proper damping they ring at their low resonance frequency (boomy bass) that also "sounds all wrong".

Sorry for the poor description , but a long time since I heard such a bad sound, eg distorted, low volume and low on bass, almost out of phase .

Though the stereo pot was wired ok its seems the 3.5mm socket or its wiring was the cause of the problem, though being a moulded sheath could not really see exactly what was happening.

Called in a the local component shop and got a new jack socket , plug and cable and made up a lead with 100 ohm resistors and that works fine, perhaps causing a little extra heavy bass on the hifi / headphones but for the intended purpose on the TV /earphones not a problem.

thanks.

Audioguru,

While I'm online, wondered if you have ever come across these KLS14 diy speakers, if thats your area of interest ? - pdf below.

While I am happy enough with them, they are now about 10 years + old and a bit large, so wondered if any of the newer drivers for diy use are likely to put mine to shame without costing a small fortune , like for example the Falcon LS35As kit. ( over rated ?)

My amp is the 50+50 Arcam Solo ( original Music version).

Attachments

• kls14manual.pdf
    183.5 KB · Views: 175
I am glad you fixed the problem with attenuating your headphones.
I have never seen or heard UK speakers and I did not know there are speaker kits available over there. I bought American hi-fi speakers and modified some cheap ones.
I do not like a sealed bass cabinet and I do not like a horn-loaded cone tweeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back