Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

headphone repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviddoria

I have a pair of headphones, and one earpiece stopped working. I took it apart and resoldered the 2 wires to the lands in the earpiece. They still didn't work... so i busted out the multimeter, and found something crazy. The wire is not conductive??!! I understand magnet wire has enamel around it... but these strands are so small i cant even imagine taking the enamel off from all of them... so how am i supposed to connect it??

Thanks,

David

This has happened to me quite a few times, the only advice i have is to slightly scrape the wire and hope some of the enamel came off, then try to solder them and hope it works. Another way i take enamel off, but off thicker wire, is with sand-paper, works quite good for me.

Ivan c.

Hi daviddoria,

you might try holding the ends of the wire over a small flame for a few seconds, just long enough to burn off the insulation.
After that, tin the ends of the wire before resoldering to the lands.

Sometimes those small wires can be a real pain :evil:

Yeah, I agree with seeker. I have dealt with that stupid coating many many times before. And what I do is burn it off. Works well. :D I tried using sandpaper on one of these wires before, and when I removed the sandpaper, I was looking at non-striped wire. So I looked down at the floor, and what do I see? Little tiny strands of wire. :evil: Headphone wire typically doesn't use very thick wire. (Just a way to manufacture it cheaper. :evil: ) So, sandpaper isn't a good idea. Burning it will do. And don't be afraid if the wire is black. It should still conduct. :wink: Oh yeah, one more thing. That stupid coating is also a way to make it cheaper. Think about it. You don't have to shield every wire individually with plastic coating. Hope this helps! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back