Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Headphone IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rekent

What would be the best IC for volume control and amplification of an audio signal for output to headphones? I wanted an NJM2777 (data sheet attached) but I have been unable to find any of those or a near match replacement. Any suggestions? Would a simple LM386 for each channel be the way to go? Thanks for the input...

Attachments

• NJM2777 Datasheet.pdf
    234.3 KB · Views: 549
LM386 used to be popular, but there are many better choices today. It doesn't have DC volume control; is that a necessity?

The parametric search at Digikey is very powerful, try it.

I have ±12V on the board.

The volume control is a necessity, but I was thinking if I have to end up using an LM386 I can run the output for both the left and right channels into a dual-gang pot and take my stereo headphone out signals from there.

Go to this**broken link removed** Click on Audio Products and then Headphone Amplifiers

The Japanese IC is made for a cheap little TV so its distortion is pretty bad.
The LM386 is cheap so it has hiss.

audioguru -

I found the following picture on the forums from your advice to another poster. Even though it is based around a LM386 would you still recommend it? I will only be driving headphones, no speakers etc.

**broken link removed**

I am probably looking for midrange quality, but I hope to be able to order the needed components today. The use is a front panel mounted headphone with volume control to be attached to a LED VU Meter

The Headwise website has simple not good headphone amplifiers and excellent ones.

Excellent headphones amplifiers use OPA2134 opamps that have distortion of only 0.00008%. They also have very low noise.
Some fools add a DC load resistor so that they operate the output in class-A to reduce (!!) that unmeasurable distortion.
Good headphones like Sennheiser are 600 ohms so are easily driven with this opamp.

What would be your suggestion regarding this attached circuit I just drew up?

Edit: Those supplies should be +/- 12V, I grabbed the wrong symbol by mistake.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-04-20 at 9.59.31 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-04-20 at 9.59.31 PM.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
definity look at **broken link removed**
they deal mainly with headphones stuff.
LOTS of different amps etc.
Stay away from the LM386. WHY waste your time and money on a crapy amp.

definity look at **broken link removed** ...

I checked them out and, between somewhat frustrating website timeouts, found the basis for the circuit I attached to post #15. Does it seem appropriate to those more experienced with headphone circuits?

Last edited:
should you not decouple / isolate the output?
Not needed.
The OPA2134 has an input offset voltage of typically 0.5mV. The DC gain of the circuit is 11 so the typical output offset voltage will be only 5.5mV which is nothing.
The OP2134 has FET inputs so it does not have input bias currents in the resistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back