Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Headphone amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
I have a pair of Sony MDR-XD200 headphones I picked up for 20 bucks new. Sony's website specs list the power handling capability as 1.5 watts IEC. I'd like to build a headphone amp for this as a minor project in high fidelty audio. The coil resistance is 70 ohms so my PC puts out... not very high fidelity sound into them =)

I'm trying to keep it simple, so I'm guessing what I'll want is a pair of monolithic power amps, I think keeping them separate would be a good idea. I want absurdly low THD at it's maximum possible output power so I'm gathering that it'll need about a 200khz bandwidth at that rated power output. These are for my own personal audio experiments so THD needs to be kept to an absolute minimum as the intent is high fidelity audio as well as experimenting with positional audio which will require very low distortion. DC coupling to the headphones is a requirement, and for other experiments I think DC coupling of the input would be a nice option.

I'm guessing a single monolithic amp design may not meet my requirements, I don't mind overbuilding this though and I'm looking for some guideance as to how I should proceed.

Last edited:
Go to **broken link removed** and look at the headphone amplifiers in the forum. There are many projects but SPAM made a mess of the site and many are missing.

Experts? Where? :)
Thanks for the link audiguru, I'll go through it a bit, but I found one right off the bat which is pretty much what I was expecting to see, just a high quality opamp driving a biased complimentary pair of power transistors. I'm sure I have something in my bits box here that'll do the job, I've taken apart a car stereo an equalizer and numerous cheap boomboxes that I have components for so I should have everything I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back