Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Headlamp or penlight, which light is better for camping ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardason

I am going to a camping trip next month and I want to buy a camping light. Convenience and light weight are the most important features , headlamp or penlight, which is better ? Which kind of camping lights are you using ? my friend are using the heavy professional camping torch, but I don't want a heavy one .

You want a LED type lamp for best efficiency and battery life. Pick one that's uses high efficiency type LEDs and provides sufficient light and battery life for your needs. Larger batteries such as C or D size provide more energy for a given weight so you want to consider that also. Those that use AAA batteries tend to have short battery life.

I've owned a lot of headlamps since the late 1970's and can recommend them. They free your hands for other work and shine where you're looking. Some of the best are made by Petzl, Black Diamond and Princeton Tec. All of the ones I have now are the latter brand and all are waterproof.

There are two minor problems in using headlamps; they shine in the eyes of people you talk to and because they are so close to your eyes, the shadows thrown by objects you look at are very short leading to some difficulty in depth perception. The solution to the conversation problem is just a matter of experience and having an auxilliary light available to light faces indirectly when needed. The depth perception issue usually only becomes acute in very complex terrain and/or at high speed and is negated by having another light mounted away from your head. I use another headlamp on the belt of my pack.

Last edited:
whatever you decide to get, it wouldn't hurt to have a backup kinetic flashlight somewhere. No batteries required. I do not recommend this as your primary flashlight though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back