Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Header pin jumper wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blowing off steam, maybe cabin fever... Wonder how much trouble I'd get into if I pasted a list of censored words I saw posted some place, just to test the filter...

Anyway, I order a set of those BasicX jumpers, little pricey, and not 100% sure they'll work, but if they do, it will make things a little nicer.

I ordered an AVR dragon a couple weeks ago and spent 2 hours with a dremel tool cutting up berg connectors, soldering them and heat shrinking the things. What a pain for someone that can not see close.

I did try a search but did not know the name of the connector. And I was in a hurry to burn some Tiny13 chips.

I did try using my STK-500 doubled ones and bent the pins a little.

Glad Jameco has them and in different colors. I will order some. Mine work, but rather have the real jumpers.

You can get header sockets, PCB mount that are 'snappable' (like the pin header counterparts) to any length, including individual sockets. Pretty cheap, I got 5x 36 for $1 off ebay. It'll still require the heatshrink thing but they're not crimp connectors, so the soldering is easy...just strip some ribbon cable, put the heatshrink on...solder to the 36-way strip, then split the ribbon cable up.

I don't own the stk500, so I'm not completely sure what you mean..but from the other posts looks like you simply mean individual female-female jumpers....a good reason to 'clone' headers on dev boards with PCB mount sockets, so you can use standard breadboarding jumpers.

One thing...might sound like more hassle, but I have knocked up a couple of breakout boards, on stripboard, with a 2x5 socket, and a DIL socket for wires. Took all but 3 minutes, plug it on the header, and you've got 10 sockets for wires. Hardly a professional approach, but it works, and if you're stuck, they come in very handy. Same with pin IDC pin header to DIP..so you can plug in IDC cables to your breadboard.

Hope this helps...I swear, 90% of what I build is for prototyping...and I still can't think of anything to prototype >.<

Blueteeth

Just got the jumpers I ordered from the BasicX site, very nice. Great fit, no heat shrink, plastic housings. Exactly what I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back