Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Header pin jumper wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
I have an STK500 that came with several sets of 2 connector jumper wires to connect standard header pins for various functions together. I'm trying to find a Digi-key part number for similar wires that are between 6-8 inchs long but only for one pin female on both sides. What are these style of connectors called? (No lesbian jokes please) Another thing I'm possibly looking for is connecting flat conductor ribbon cables to a breadboard.
Anyone help me out? There are so many pages in the connectors section of the Digikey catalog I'm not even sure where to start.

I usually use the "AMP C-GRID" type connectors. There's also another type that I can't quite remember at the moment.

The crimp tool is $50 (and is pretty useful), but just soldering wires to the crimp ends works too. When I run out of the little plastic holders, I tend to just use heatshrink tubing around the crimp contact.

Searching Digi-key for c-grid and the best I could come up with was 4 contact receptacles. I think you may have misinterpreted what I'm asking for? Just about anyone that's every opened a PC is familiar with the wires that attach things like the PC speaker and front panel LED's. They're usually 2 or 4 wide connectors, though I've seen some USB headers that had multiple single pin connectors because the header format for extra USB connectors isn't always the same. It's those one connector bits that I'm looking for. Receptacles with solder ends or pre built assemblies with both ends receptacles 6-10 inches long for connect two seperate square .1 spaced header pins together. Can you provide a part number for exactly what you're refering too in case I'm just getting bad hits searching Digi-key's site?

**broken link removed**

The catalog page is probably the most useful thing:
**broken link removed**

Looks like just the plain raw c-grid crimp pins are what I need. I think I may know someone that has a crimping tool for them as well, though I can solder them if need be. I was kind of hopeing for a housings for 1 wire connectors as well but the more I think about it it's probably just easier to use a piece of heat shrink tubeing like hjames suggested. They're marginally more expensive than the ones on the futurelec page but there are things Digikey carries that I need and I'm not gonna split it into two orders for the sake of a few pins. I'll have to browse the catalog a little more and see if I can find a generic equivilant.

I went through this back in December with the AVR Dragon. Doesn't come with any jumpers or cables, and this was my very first programmer. I got luck and found some header socket in a housing with wires, just had to slip the pins out. Put heat shrink on them, but they are a tight fit when close together on the headers. Been using the ZIF socket, and haven't changed anything, but will need to do better soon. There was a thailand site that sells the cables, but couldn't get it to take my order.

**broken link removed**

link doesn't seem to be working...

the housings are pretty cheap where-ever your look, but the crimp pins, holy cow are they expensive!

futurlec is by far the least expensive retail source. the pins also pretty cheap on ebay

the tool doesn't have to be the "Molex" tool, anything that crimps 0.100" pin headers will work - I use a Paladin CrimpAll frame with a multipurpose die set in it. Before I bought the tool, I used needle nose pliers, that worked too but what a pain.

Whoops, I guess they are Molex connectors. The other one that I get them confused with is the AMP "AMPMODU" ones. The retaining prongs are in different places which makes the housings and crimps completely incompatible between the two manufacturers. Talk about PITA.

Sceadwian said:
similar wires that are between 6-8 inchs long but only for one pin female on both sides.

Goto www.allelectronics.com

in the search box, enter SIP-30

These are snap-apart female sockets. Solder one to each end of your wire and cover with heat-shrink. I have done the same with single header pins to make breadboard jumpers.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

I ran across some that appear to be what you are looking for. Says they work with any header posts.

**broken link removed**

RDL2004 said:
I ran across some that appear to be what you are looking for. Says they work with any header posts.

**broken link removed**

Just eactly what I described in my post above. Thanks for the photos.

Edit: It's a good thing no one responded to this post, because the female plugs described above from All Electronics would not work. I ordered some out for another purpose, and realize they will not accept the normal male header pin. correction made for the archives.

Last edited:
Sceadwian said:
I have an STK500 that came with several sets of 2 connector jumper wires to connect standard header pins for various functions together. I'm trying to find a Digi-key part number for similar wires that are between 6-8 inchs long but only for one pin female on both sides. What are these style of connectors called? (No [WORD CENSORED] jokes please) Another thing I'm possibly looking for is connecting flat conductor ribbon cables to a breadboard.
Anyone help me out? There are so many pages in the connectors section of the Digikey catalog I'm not even sure where to start.

Here is the starting place for the breadboard ribbon cable assemblies

**broken link removed**

Umm....Chinese finger traps? seriously though...those are used on logic analyzers to the microclips for SMT chips.

D.

I just notice the [word censored]
Nigel's allowed to look up the IP of a user and tell people what country they live in ,and you can't say |_esb|an in a post without it censoring it. There's a whole lot of high end moral management going on here! <Rollseyes>

Sceadwian said:
I just notice the [word censored]
Nigel's allowed to look up the IP of a user and tell people what country they live in ,and you can't say |_esb|an in a post without it censoring it. There's a whole lot of high end moral management going on here! <Rollseyes>

Bad language filters are an integral part of all forum software, presumably the default setting and dictionary are used here?, if you can't express yourself without using unwarranted language perhaps you should go elsewhere?.

Bad language filter? I wasn't aware that a clinical definition of sexuality was considered bad language. I've heard a LOT worse in the forums.
The recent thread about 'sex toy vibrator motor' comes to mind. The irony absolutely floors me that you would even think of saying something like "If you can't express yourself without using unwarranted language perhaps you should go elsewhere?" after telling a severely 'off color' joke.. such as
True story!

At the pub that used to be just down the road (now sadly knocked down), the landlord used to be a Scot called Kenny - who was 6ft 8inches tall (a big lad!). There used to be a young woman who came in called 'Big Jackie', because she had the largest natural chest you ever did see (48DD for those who might be interested!)

Anyway, a load of us (men!) were sat at the bar one night, and Kenny reaches under the bar and brings out this HUGE vibrator - and says "when Jackie comes in I'm going to tell her she left it here last night". Being normal well behaved males we all suitably giggled, and waited for Jackie to come in!.

She comes in, the pub is packed, and walks straight to the bar - Kenny reaches under the bar, slams it down and says "you left this here last night!". The place goes deathly silent, everyone ready to crack up laughing - but Jackie just looks at it, reachs into her bag and slaps one down TWICE the size, and says "no, this ones MINE!".

Everone absolutely cracked up, but all laughing at Kenny rather than Jackie!.

I was attempting to be neither confrontational nor insulting when mentioning that it was perhaps not the 'right' thing to do using moderator privileges to look up and state publicly in the forums the location of a user that perhaps intentionally left their location field blank for a personal reason. It may seem trivial but that kind of action is under absolutely no circumstance acceptable in modern society. It's akin to a police officer running plates or criminal records on their friends. Apparently however you don't seem to think that the action was wrong or that perhaps you may not be the correct person to tell someone else they're saying something that might be considered "unwarranted language"

Everybody needs to lighten up a little. Different cultures haven't different views on what is/isn't socially acceptable. The language filter tries to keep things clean for most groups of people. There are a lot of strange censored words in the list, but I respect that some might find the use offensive. I have a good vocabulary, and can remember what words are censored, so just re-word things to get the same meaning. I enjoy the challenge of bypassing the safeguard.
I couldn't believe the sex toy thread, it can't be serious, and a little inappropriate (there are some here in the early teens). Perhaps I'm old fashion in my beliefs, but sex should be kept personal and private.
Doesn't the UK approve of same-sex marriage? Why must everyone be made aware of of the perversion, should be kept in the closet.

What's wrong with having a police officer run a few background checks, we pay taxes, and free access to public records isn't so free or easy these days. I've had few people move into the neighborhood that made me a little concerned over the past 15 years or so, and it helps keep out the drug dealers and sex offenders.

Sceadwian said:
Bad language filter? I wasn't aware that a clinical definition of sexuality was considered bad language. I've heard a LOT worse in the forums.

Do you have a problem reading?, what do you think "Bad language filters are an integral part of all forum software, presumably the default setting and dictionary are used here?" means?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back