Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Header Connector Parts & Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Wilder

Can anyone link me to a source for header connectors, contacts, and the crimp tool needed? I would like to start making my own header harnesses but cannot seem to figure out how to go about finding the connector bodies, contacts, and the matching crimp tool for them.

To begin with, what pitch do you want? 0.1" is very common, but with the drive to smaller sizes, 2mm, 1.5mm and 1.25mm are quite common too. 2mm is significantly smaller than 0.1" and is a good option. For a recent project, I went to 1.5mm, which is still doable by hand, but I don't think I would want to try anything smaller.

Also for the female connectors/receptacle you will have a choice of crimped contacts or insulation displacement (IDC). IDC may take a little more space but sure is convenient. Here is a link to the 1.5mm receptacle I recently got. It is IDC and can use 26 AWG wire: https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=353293-6virtualkey57100000virtualkey571-353293-6

As for sources, try Digikey or Mouser and use their parametric search engines. I have good luck with TE Connectivity/AMP and Molex brands. For pin headers, there are lots of choices.

For a crimper, I use a hobby quality one.

John

Assuming you want Molex 0.1" types, as my tutorials use, it's easy to solder them by hand rather than buying an expensive crimping tool (unless you're doing a huge number of course).

I have an amp tool marked "AMP Service tool I" which will generally work for the larger sizes. It won't work for the JST type connectors. The hand tools typically have a "wire crimp"and an "insulation crimp" area.

EDIT: Here's https://www.tedss.com/2099000910 the tool, but it looks like it's discontinued. It was such a nice tool. I purchased on like it years ago for like $20 for work. The price significantly went up a few years ago when I purchased one for home.

I did have to use some "valve grinding compound" to loosen up the jaws, but after that, it was fine.

I got a tool to do the really small crimps and they are difficult to use.

At work, we had a ratchet crimper for the 0.100" header type (Berg) connectors. Useful because the terminal was inserted into the crimper and then the wire.

I have a few crimper's at home. e.g. RJ45, Hex, AMP RJ45, RJ11, RG6/RG59 Compression, insulated terminals (ratchet), non-insulated terminals, the AMP crimper and a couple of smaller ones.

I used a lot of the plastic CPC connectors at work because the terminals were easily removed and reconfigurable/re-useable.

D-sub miniature was used too. Now, I can't find the hoods I used to use. They had quick release latches and were not compatible with the connectors with screws.

Last edited:
BTW, here is a crimper similar to the one I use: **broken link removed** The ratcheting helps get uniform crimps.

Adafruit apparently sells the same thing and states it can be used for 18-28 awg wire. That should be OK for almost anything you are likely to do.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back