Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Having trouble finding a part (momentary toggle switches)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieMopps

Hi! I'm new here. Hello everybody!

Anyways, I've done lots of projects. Made a guitar amp, and a few other gadgets in the past.

My new project is of an automotive nature. I've been fixing up an 89 Jeep Cherokee (lift kit, big tires, etc...)

Well, the door locks and electric windows are shot. Common problem with the age of the vehicle. The wiring design for the doors/windows is very poor. They are daisy chained from the drives side door all the way though the vehicle. The wires corrode with time and resistance climbs. As a result the voltage at the window motors has dropped to about 5v instead of the 12v needed.

Rather than mess around with it anymore, I have decided on tearing the entire thing out (except the motors) and running all new wires, switches and possibly relays.

My problem is that I'm having a difficult time finding the right kinds of switches.

I need:
Rocker switches
On-Off-On
Momentary (rest position is center Off)
DPDT
They need to be able to either handle 30amp, or I need to use them to control some relays.

I've tried the usual sites (like what's listed in your faq) but found very few switches that would work. The ones that I did find that might work were over $16, which is insane.

Also, any suggestions for little projects I could add to the jeep would be great. I generally do not design anything more complicated that the basics I've laid out above, but if you have links to schematics for things you think would be cool in an Off-road truck, feel free to post em!

Thanks!

Sorry for the double posts, I did not realize that the have to wait for approval... lol

hi,
The cost of 30Amp switches is going to be a problem.
You could consider 2A switches controlling 30A auto relays, they are about a tenth of the cost,
also the wiring would be cheaper from switch to coil.

This link has some examples:
Automotive | Farnell United Kingdom

EDIT: cheaper source
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Have you tried automobile part shops?

Have you tried cleaning the switches?

If you use relays cleaning the switches may be enough.
The relays will require much less current that the motors.

Last edited:
Have you tried automobile part shops?

Have you tried cleaning the switches?

If you use relays cleaning the switches may be enough.
The relays will require much less current that the motors.

The switches are, literally, 20 years old. I'd rather just get rid of them and find new if I could.

Autoparts stores, funny enough, have the relays... but not the switches. Just like the online-electronics supply places they have plain toggle switches, but not many momentary switches. I posted a link to a switch that I think will work but the forum qued it for approval. I apparently can't post links.

It's digi-key part number SW311-ND
The problem I have with it, is the picture shows it as if it is not a momentary switch. I dunno if the pic is wrong or I am misunderstanding what kind of switch it is.

[QUOTE
The problem I have with it, is the picture shows it as if it is not a momentary switch. I dunno if the pic is wrong or I am misunderstanding what kind of switch it is.[/QUOTE]

I looked at the information sheet and also the catalogue. It is a momentary with center off. Some times they are designated (on)-off-(on). The on in ()'s usually means momentary.

The switches are, literally, 20 years old. I'd rather just get rid of them and find new if I could.

Autoparts stores, funny enough, have the relays... but not the switches. Just like the online-electronics supply places they have plain toggle switches, but not many momentary switches. I posted a link to a switch that I think will work but the forum qued it for approval. I apparently can't post links.

The problem I have with it, is the picture shows it as if it is not a momentary switch. I dunno if the pic is wrong or I am misunderstanding what kind of switch it is.

Hi Charliemopps,
You save yourself allot of trouble by going to JC Whitney for all Auto parts - Car, Truck, Jeep, Motorcycle & RV Parts They have all kinds of stuff for power windows and most of it is universal. Another place is YearOne, Inc. they deal with automotive reproduction restoration parts. If they don't have it Chevrolets will fit and you can get them at **broken link removed** Good luck and have fun Oh Ya by the way :eek: I bought mine at Year One.

Hi Charlie,

ELEDIS manufactures SPDT and DPDT switches with the functions: ON - OFF - ON, (ON) - OFF - ON, (ON) - OFF - (ON). Paranthesises indicate momentary action.

They are rated 3A at 250VAC and 4A at 30VDC.

If you can't find them at Digkey or Mouser you'll find them at reichelt elektronik - OnlineShop für PC-Komponenten, Elektronik - Festplatten, Mainboards, Motherboards, Karten, Kabel.

Search for MS 500A through J (A through E are SPDTs and F through J are DPDTs). When typing in the search key word don't omit the space after MS.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back