Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Having ADC output as DAC input

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacat

I learned that one way for an ADC to sample its input is using a Sample and Hold circuit.
adc-jpg.37181

In order to compute the digital output, the ADC can use a DAC and a comprator, in the following way:
**broken link removed**

Say that the ADC samples a sine wave.
I read that:
1. if i start increasing the sine wave's frequency from zero Hz, then at some point, the output will be a straight line,
2. and that the first frequency that the output becomes a staight line is the ADC's sampling frequency.

What is the reason for these 2 phenomenons?

Thank you.

Attachments

• ADC.jpg
    ADC.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 222
  • ADC2.jpg
    ADC2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
When the sampling frequency is exactly equal to the frequency of the input AC signal, the sample will always occur at the same point on the AC waveform, giving a constant sample voltage. The sampled output will thus be a DC level. The value of this DC will depend at what point on the AC waveform the samples are being made. It can vary from 0V to the peak AC value.

Thank you, got it.

And what happens if i increase the sine wave frequency?
I read that the output will remain a straight line.
Why is that?

It would not remain a straight line if you vary one of the frequencies. It's only going to be a straight line when one of the frequencies is a direct harmonic of the other, where it's sampling the same place in the sine wave every cycle, as crutschow mentioned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back