Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Havesting lithium ion cells out of laptop batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have two dead laptops in my room. One doesn't boot at all and the other has a dead screen. I opened up the dell battery and found 6 lithium cells.
According to the rating on the pack, it's 11.1v @ 4.8Amps. I want to reuse the cells for a spare led torch if I can.

here's the questions
1)Are I correct in saying each cell should be 3.7v
3x 2.4 -2.6v
3x 2.2v
So am assuming the 2.4 ones are good and the 2.2v ones are bad?

2) what size are these batteries ?

Attachments

• battery(1).jpg
    battery(1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 222
Do the cells have individual protection circuits attached?
Are you aware of the hazards lithium batteries can pose if not charged/discharged correctly? (If not, check out BatteryUniversity)

Yes of course. The hazard is plastered all over youtube. My favorite is this video
I plan to use one of sparkfun's charger instead of building my own. Am I correct in saying the batteries are 18650 cells. I'm unsure they do have protection. HOwever I can add a protection ic can't I? AFAIK it's an original battery since the laptop was from work. They were giving them away.

Last edited:
Cells out of a Dell laptop battery will not have internal protection (I know because I was going to re-cell mine) they are plain cells. All the magic is done in the battery's internal circuit.

Ah OK. I was going to use a comparator to detect when an invididual cell voltage was 3v or below. Then shut off the entire pack. So I could use a MOSFET on the output of the pack. Also temperature monitored. What sort of temperature should be the cut off

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back