Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

havent found it so i want to build it

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasterburn

I am wanting to build a controller system that is clock based, it needs to have a few outlets on it and the thing about it is that a person would set the time and what time to turn it on and turn it off again and it would then systematically turn each socket on one at a time 15 minutes after each other and then do the exact same thing to turn it off.

The device would be used on an aquatics lighting system to control the lights with an abc structure to it for instance you want the lighting system to start turning on at 7:30am so at that time the first light would turn on, at 7:45am the second bulb and at 8am the third and when it gets to the time to turn off it repeats those steps.

Now that I have explained the device and the purpose how would everyone go about building it?

The easiest would probably to use a PC as the controller. Is that acceptable?

I would use a PIC, use the outputs of the PIC to trigger triacs to supply the power to the sockets.

I am working on a project that does exactly this, although not turning lights on sequentially. Its just a case of altering software to do the job.

Im not sure where in the world you are but i have a board here i built some time ago that has 3 triac outputs on it, all you need to do to turn them on is give it a signal from a PIC. If your interested in it then feel free to PM me.

Just for completeness, you (the O.P.) do know that you can get digital timers almost anywhere (hardware store, building supply stores, etc.) for cheap, don't you? You'd have to buy more than one, of course, since (so far as I know) each timer is only capable of switching a single load, but it still might be cheaper than building something.

Unless you really want to build something, or want it to be all in one unit instead of separate timers.

A microprocessor (PIC or other µp) would give you what you want. In addition to power-control devices for switching (triacs), you'd probably want a LCD display so the user could set the clock and the timers, using a couple pushbutton switches.

Last edited:
If you check on the Intermatic or Tork websites you can get a 4 pole electronic time clock that can be program to do exactly what you are requesting. Some can be programmed to change time for Daylight Savings Time, if it applies, and they carry an astronomical feature if you want your lights to come on a dusk. The astronomical setting will change as the times of sunrise and sunset changes. For the additional circuits you can use a setback feature in them. Some can be programmed with your computer. Hope this helps. Good luck.

well, I am fully aware of the timers you can buy at the hardware store but they are all single zone timers, currently I already have 1 timed power bar, has 4 outlets that are on the timer the other 4 outlets are not, then I have a second one that has a 2 on and 2 off timer where the outlets switch on and off. Using a computer would be the simplest using the serial port to trigger some some interface, but unfortunately not acceptable. cobra1 and carbonzit are both on the right track.

The only issue with using multiple timers is keeping them in sync with each other and of course the full size of each one. It should most definitely be an all in one unit.

well, I am fully aware of the timers you can buy at the hardware store but they are all single zone timers, currently I already have 1 timed power bar, has 4 outlets that are on the timer the other 4 outlets are not, then I have a second one that has a 2 on and 2 off timer where the outlets switch on and off. Using a computer would be the simplest using the serial port to trigger some some interface, but unfortunately not acceptable. cobra1 and carbonzit are both on the right track.

The only issue with using multiple timers is keeping them in sync with each other and of course the full size of each one. It should most definitely be an all in one unit.

Rasterburn, the electronic time clocks come in multiple poles, with one clock. To do what yo what you would need a four pole unit. Each pole can be programmed to turn on individually or at the same time. As a Commercial Electrician, I have installed a bunch of these units, and they would do what you want. You can look at one of these units **broken link removed**. I hope this helps, and please look at the information before you think this would not work. You may not find these at your local hardware store, but at an electrical supply house. Good luck on whatever you decide.

oh god their ugly, but they do meet the requirements, maybe a bit big, but hidable, what is there average price and where abouts "locally" could I buy one?

oh god their ugly, but they do meet the requirements, maybe a bit big, but hidable, what is there average price and where abouts "locally" could I buy one?

They are designed to be installed or "hid" in a mechanical closet. I am unsure about your location, but I would try to get in touch with a local electrical supply house or if you know an electrician to recommend one. Not sure of the cost as I installed them, someone else bought them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back