Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Have you seen similar boxes/cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
I would like to purchase a few project boxes similar to the the one in these pictures. Both the case and PCB clip into place. I expect it will be a long search to find them so I figured that it was worth asking here first, even if it was a long shot.

3v0

View attachment 61866View attachment 61867View attachment 61868

This box is from a 10 year old GENIE Keyless system, keypad for opening garage doors.

I doubt you will find something ready-made like this (famous last words...) - likely GENIE had them custom designed and molded specifically for that application. I've seen boxes with mounting "ears" like that (both in plastic and cast aluminum), but never with clips on the mounting plate (now, you might find something with standoffs that you could screw the PCB onto - would that work?)... Good luck with the search! :)

I know this is not what you asked for, but...Snaptrack can be mounted with doublesided tape in any box. Serpac and Bud carry plastic enclosures with mounting flanges. E

Hammond (http://www.hammondmfg.com/scpg.htm) has several boxes with flanged lids and card guides. They are not exactly like your picture, but they are probably functionally similar. The flanged lid can be quite an advantage when mounting. You can also find similar styles in aluminum from the same supplier. DigiKey, Mouser, etc. carry the line.

John

Like these ones? https://www.allelectronics.com/make...X-W/MOUNTING-FLANGE-7.31-X-3.75-X-2.08/1.html

4976.Jpg

As I tried to say in the first post. I know there are lots of places making boxes. This post was simply an attempt to shorten the search.

I intend to mount a few of these on the ceiling in the shop and I would just as soon not have to fiddle with screws to get the cover off. Screws for the PCB would be ok if that was the only choice.

Thinking it would be great to pop in a replacement PCB or radio without using a screw driver while standing on the ladder.

Thanks guys.

Although it pains me to say this, I have never been disappointed by a Hammond box. They may be a few dollars more than the competition, depending on where you buy them, but if you are buying less than 100, what difference does that make? The lids fit. Screws fit. Most of the plastic ones have brass inserts for the screws. Blueroomelectronics used them. What more can I say? Oh yes, even AG approves of them!

John

I do not own Hammond stock.

They are all nice boxes but above all I do not want to have to unscrew the box from the wall/ceiling to get at screws that hold the cover on.

Think of something more along the line of a thermostat where you pop the lid off leaving the base and electronics attached to the wall.

I will continue looking :)

Last edited:
Am I the only one that is flaber gasted that this has gone to it's 10th post and a couple suggestions without so much as a single dimension explicit?

Some of those flange-mount boxes have the screws on the front. A snap-fit cover's a tall order, I don't remember ever seeing a project box with one.

What if you found such a box (flanged with screwed on cover), but modified it to use small rare-earth magnets to hold the cover on (unless using magnets be a problem in your application)...?

Am I the only one that is flaber gasted that this has gone to it's 10th post and a couple suggestions without so much as a single dimension explicit?

Generally vendors create each line of boxes in a range of sizes. The problem here is finding the style of box.

duffy said:
Some of those flange-mount boxes have the screws on the front. A snap-fit cover's a tall order, I don't remember ever seeing a project box with one.
cr0sh said:
What if you found such a box (flanged with screwed on cover), but modified it to use small rare-earth magnets to hold the cover on (unless using magnets be a problem in your application)...?

Magnets would be easier to manage then a clip/snap on lid. The boxes will house a PIC and a low power 2.4GHz radio. The only possible interaction I can think of is with the radio's inductors but I do not think a fixed offset in the existing magnetic field will bother.

Crosh's post has me thinking that I can make a flat base with flanges and mount the PCB to it. Then find a suitable plastic cover to he held on with magnets. The PCB mount could be a pair of slotted sticks (card guides) glued to the base. That comes closer then anything I have seen from the vendors. Need to see wee if dollar general has anything that would make a decent looking cover.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
You any good with CAD? Places like Shapeways and Ponoko can rapid-proto parts from nylon and ABS, you could make a case exactly like the one you want.

^ Is that the right link? What I'm seeing has 4 screws holding it together.

R0218898-01.jpg

^ Is that the right link? What I'm seeing has 4 screws holding it together.

View attachment 61918

hi duffy,
Yes its correct, the boxes actually hold together snugly without the 4 screws, I would say as good as a regular magnet option.
I have one of that type next to me on the bench and I have to use force to pull the halves apart.
E.

3vo:

I have one of the flanged Polycase gizmos. I don't exactly know which model it is, but I could find out. The overall is about 2" W x 1-1/8" tall x 3" L and 3.5" between the bolt holes.

The lid will snap and stay on without using the 4 screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back