Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Has the IT man messed up my router

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
There is a computer system where I work, it has a high speed internet connection.
Not getting on with IT I have my own connection (seperate 'phone line) and router which I manage.
This router has an Esp setup on it which works locally but will not not remotely via port forwarding, the same Esp program with the ssid and password changed works on my home router.
I suspect IT have somehow messed things up, I have checked the settings for port forwarding & fixed iP on the works router I manage, all seems good.
IT has no control over my connection or router, is it possible for them to prevent me from setting up a remotely accesible connection, even from networks other than the works managed one?

There is a computer system where I work, it has a high speed internet connection.
Not getting on with IT I have my own connection (seperate 'phone line) and router which I manage.
This router has an Esp setup on it which works locally but will not not remotely via port forwarding, the same Esp program with the ssid and password changed works on my home router.
I suspect IT have somehow messed things up, I have checked the settings for port forwarding & fixed iP on the works router I manage, all seems good.
IT has no control over my connection or router, is it possible for them to prevent me from setting up a remotely accesible connection, even from networks other than the works managed one?

What is meant by “ESP” program?

Are you attempting to access a company resource from outside the company internal network?

eT

Oops I meant to say Esp8266 microcontroller.
Nope what I'd like to do is access said esp8266 from a remote connection.
Both ends of the connection would be independant of the business's network.
I have no interest in the business's resources here, for that I'd use their network.

I sussed it, I'm a twonk.
Staring at my code I realised the gateway IP in the Esp8266 code was incorrect.
My home gateway is 192.168.0.1
And the works gateway 192.168.1.0
Subtle difference.
I'm at home now so cant test the works connection, however if I set my gateway IP to the works address I cannot access the Esp's page using the remote address, so it looks like this is the messup, not the IT man, glad I didnt shout.

I sussed it, I'm a twonk.
Staring at my code I realised the gateway IP in the Esp8266 code was incorrect.
My home gateway is 192.168.0.1
And the works gateway 192.168.1.0
Subtle difference.
I'm at home now so cant test the works connection, however if I set my gateway IP to the works address I cannot access the Esp's page using the remote address, so it looks like this is the messup, not the IT man, glad I didnt shout.

glad you figured it out :)

I changed the single line containing the gateway IP and it now works.
IT man paranoia over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back