Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

has got anyone an idea how to make an SERIAL to USB convert

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKS

i would like to make an USB chip with an PIC micro..

the idea is that we still can use normal pics wich will communicate using USART to an PIC wich will then send this data to the USB port of the Computer.....

also the same port should be able to connect an HandHeld scanner to it...
or an Pen drive etc.

is this difficult?

i know there is something arround for AVR wich does this...

Tks

NO!

I wanted to make the following:

- an device wich has an USB port
- an pic micro with 2x memory 24LC256 will be enough...
- an converter sow i'm able to connect an Handheld USB barcode scanner to this device, every code scanned will be saved in the memory...

when i disconnect the scanner and connect the pc, i can retrieve the codes....

thats the idea...

the reason it has to be an USB scanner is because i already have them in the aplication an RS-232 scanner costs $80...

when i connect to the PC its no problem if it results in an comport....

Tks

what you are looking for is "usb host". pololu usb/serial converter is "usb device" and thus not what you need.

you might want to fix your spelling.

and using RAM would be very helpful, because it can store a large number of bytes.

Re: has got anyone an idea how to make an SERIAL to USB conv

TKS said:
i would like to make an USB chip with an PIC micro..

There are a number of USB capable PIC's, I would suggest the 18F series ones, as the older ones are OTP.

the idea is that we still can use normal pics wich will communicate using USART to an PIC wich will then send this data to the USB port of the Computer.....

Check the application notes at MicroChip, this will show you how complicated USB is to do!.

or an Pen drive etc.

You've then got to write your own DOS system for the PIC, which is compatible with the PC file system used in the pen drive - this also isn't trivial!.

is this difficult?

Yes, VERY!.

i know there is something arround for AVR wich does this...

There's no reason you can't do it with any USB capable micro, but it's certainly NOT a simple application!.

well

in fact it won't be an pen drive but only the handheld scanner....

sow the pic will be host

and later on it will be device...

Is it still possible..or not..

Tks

ok

2nd question,

Can you help me an bit telling me what i need?

Already am sampling the needed pic versions of the 18F series...

but anyway i hoped you could make USB support in software

but maybe it will be allot of typing??//timing??

Tks

Re: ok

TKS said:
2nd question,

Can you help me an bit telling me what i need?

Already am sampling the needed pic versions of the 18F series...

but anyway i hoped you could make USB support in software

but maybe it will be allot of typing??//timing??

No, you need the hardware support - check the various USB application notes at MicroChip.

Re: well

TKS said:
in fact it won't be an pen drive but only the handheld scanner....

sow the pic will be host

and later on it will be device...

Is it still possible..or not..

Tks

ok, what you need is "USB On The Go"
https://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans6#q1

You can download USB spec from same website, it's only 9.8Mb zip file.

If you are implying you want a PIC that is capable of communicating with a usb scanner (with no other IC required), then I can safely say that it's definitely impossible.

checkmate said:
If you are implying you want a PIC that is capable of communicating with a usb scanner (with no other IC required), then I can safely say that it's definitely impossible.

You need to read all the posts, it's a 'barcode scanner' and not just a scanner. A barcode scanner only sends a very small amount of data, just a few characters - in the past they commonly connected either via the serial port, or linked to the keyboard port (where they simulated keypresses).

Re: NO!

TKS said:
the reason it has to be an USB scanner is because i already have them in the aplication an RS-232 scanner costs $80...
I was reading from this quote. He was not very clear, but my interpretation is that he doesnt want to use an RS232 scanner because it's more expensive than a usb one.
TKS said:
Another indication that the scanner is a usb one.
These are just interpretation issues, but I just wanted to give the threadstarter the most direct answer, instead of going around in circles.

Let me make this straight:

You can't connect any USB device to an USB enabled PIC (atleast not any current one). These PICs are USB devices only and can't serve as a host (or as USB on the go thingy).

You can either get other MCU, which can serve as a USB host (this will be very expensive and difficult) or get yourself one of the miniature PCs with USB port (system-on-chip ?).

Definitelly the best solution for you would be to get a serial or PS/2 interfaced Bar code reader. USB one is just not worth the effort.

I was chatting with a microchip field apps guy a few months back, asking about USB host support. He suggested it's in the pipeline but I couldn't get any thing concrete from him.

Has anyone come across simple USB host interface peripherals or host enabled microcontrollers?

For a usb device interface I'm sticking with the ft232 chip, which is easy to get here in the UK. But I'm more interested in the host interface myself...

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back