Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Has anyone noticed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuffock

Has anyone noticed how, as components get smaller, the easily available tools get more suited to a gorilla's gentle touch?
Or is it just me?
For example, one used to buy scalpels from Maplin. Now discontinued, the best precision cutter is a stanley knife.

Capitalism at it's best. It's cheaper to designate catalog/storage space for widgets that they're going to sell by the ton at a high markup than it is to hold shelf space for the widgets that are used to help make it easier for people to use the widgets that they buy by the ton. A tube of micro controllers or memory chips that could sell for a dozen, a hundred, or a thousand dollars will fit into the space they used to reserve for that scalpel. This trend will do nothing but get worse over the years, though there will pop up specialty suppliers that specialize in selling all the things that no one else wants to stock, or people will find some other way of doing what they need to.

Last edited:
I haven't failed yet to find what I needed or wanted on E-bay, just takes a little patience at times. Kind of fun searching also. Of course I'm retired now so time is something I have available :D

Lefty

Tell the company. Let them know you will take your custom elsewhere since you do not have the time to deal with several suppliers. Let them know that you will spend your money where you get what you came for.

You'd be suprised how well this works. Works in reverse also, with the smarter suppliers. They know they can charge slightly over-the-odds if they are a one stop shop, time is money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back