Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Has anybody used this starter kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjl83

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting myself a starter kit so I can try and learn a little PIC programming. I am into woodwork and I make some toys and games. I have always been into electronics (I'm an electrician by trade) and would like to integrate the 2 by automating some parts.

I'm only thinking simple for now. The project that triggered this thought was an "air hockey" type of game. I started thinking about micro-switches behind the goals and led's or lcd panel to display the score and beeps and flashed when a goal is scored or the game is won. I've done a bit of BASIC programming years ago but this may not be relevant now. I used line numbers or procedures with commands like - IFA$="this" then goto 25.

The best value I could find was this kit from CPC - **broken link removed**

What's your thoughts? I like the fact that it has led's and push buttons to test the programme.

Thanks
Paul

The Pickit 1 was one of the first low priced factory programmer kits available. It was replaced by the much more versatile Pickit 2 programmer and LPC board kit shortly thereafter. Get the Pickit 2 starter kit for a programmer with a full range of device support at your disposal. The Pickit 1 had an extremely limited device support. With the LPC board, you can even put a couple of 18f devices on it, like the 18f14k50 and 18f14k22.

Hi,

Afraid CPC are rather misleading you saying its NEW, its circa 2004 and is a very old package.

For just a couple of £ more you can get this little starter kit AND the Pickit2 programmer / Debugger / Logic Analyzer - I have used that kit myself and still use the Pk2 all the time.

**broken link removed**

It has been superceeded by the Pickit3 but just look in this forum and you will soon see that the PK2 is the best of the bunch.

It comes with tutorials etc and is ready to run the simple examples.

Like any basic dev board you will soon want to add on extras like lcds but by the time you are wanting to do that you will have realised how easy it is to make up your own dev board exactly as you want.

hth

Thanks for the replies. I'll put the pickit2 on my wish list.

I'll spend some time reading up and looking through other peoples past projects to get a feel for the code etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back