Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Has anybody built the Ozpic'er programmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i_build_stuff said:
I was wondering if anybody can offer any comments on this design (hopefully, verify that it works), before I go and order the parts / PICs?

I've never built or used one, but I was consulted during it's design, and as far as I can see the design is sound. There are certainly a number of people using them.

Also, does WinPicProg (and its related LPT driver) have any issues on WinXP?

No problems, I built an XP machine specifically to test WinPicProg - due to a strange problem that occurred on earlier versions. In the end I had to provide a 'work round', there appears to be a 'bug' either in Windows NT or the Delphi compiler - and a perfectly legitimate technique that worked in 95 based Windows failed under NT based Windows.

As far as I can tell it sounds like it!, pity there's no picture on that page.

I was wondering if anybody can offer any comments on this design (hopefully, verify that it works), before I go and order the parts / PICs?

well, i built it myself and it works!!!!!!!!

but one day i inserted an 877 the other way round by mistake and one of the transistors blew up. from that day on, the programmer doesnt work even though i have replaced about half of the components :lol:

but as Nigel has said, the design is good. it has many improvements over the Bojan Dobaj design.

Also, does WinPicProg (and its related LPT driver) have any issues on WinXP?

no, i havent had any issues with WinPicProg and WinXP. as for the LPT driver, im going to use it in a project because winXP doesnt let you handle the parallel port like win98 does. you have to use a driver, and thats the one i will probably be using.

Finally, does this look like an appropriate ZIF socket:

any ZIF socket will do. but the Aries ZIF socket is the most recommended. i couldnt find an Aries ZIF socket in my city so i bought a 3M ZIF socket and i am happy with it.

Hey, it looks like this thing's going to go together for cheap (the only part I'm not buying is the DB-25 connector). The whole thing will be about $40 USD, including 5 PICs to start with...

I was wondering, though--on the schematic, it specifies the way that different chips are placed in the socket. I'm assuming that they always face the same direction as the socket, and go in like this picture:

**broken link removed**

Is this correct?

Again, thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back