Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HARDWARE HELP...for thesis prototype..how to incorporate lcd screen and power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbz

THesis help..prototype and hardware..thanks!!?
ill be creating a prototype of one of my thesis ideas: a device called "Flash disk to Flash disk File Sharing Using Bluetooth Technology"

after programming. how would i put the graphics, the interface in an LCD Screen?..i need to let it appear in a screen so it would do its function..but i don't know how to do it since i m not oriented with hardware..and how would i connect its power supply(battery)..?Thanks so much!

If your thesis is only the software, why wouldn't you just buy an LCD+MCU devkit that has taken care of all of that for you? If hardware is part of your thesis...well then you're kind of screwed if you don't know that stuff already.

Programming the graphics is a pain though. The only thing I've found that comes with a graphics commands library for the LCD are the exLCD modules Earth LCD. They take care of those hardware issues and more importantly, the graphics library issue. You just use the drawing functions commands when programming what text, lines, shapes, and colourfills you want and it does them. The commands also have commands to draw buttons and sense them with the touchscreen too. You can use the LCD module on it's own to do everything, or you can connect it to your own processor and have the processor send commands to the LCD module to do everything.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
If your thesis is only the software, why wouldn't you just buy an LCD+MCU devkit that has taken care of all of that for you? If hardware is part of your thesis...well then you're kind of screwed if you don't know that stuff already.

Programming the graphics is a pain though. The only thing I've found that comes with a graphics commands library for the LCD are the exLCD modules Earth LCD. They take care of those hardware issues and more importantly, the graphics library issue. You just use the drawing functions commands when programming what text, lines, shapes, and colourfills you want and it does them. The commands also have commands to draw buttons and sense them with the touchscreen too. You can use the LCD module on it's own to do everything, or you can connect it to your own processor and have the processor send commands to the LCD module to do everything.

**broken link removed**

what does this LCD+MCU devkit do..uhm...we wereinstructed to do a prototype...at least i have to show that my program works and could be implemented..hence i need to incorporate the interface and everything in a screen..im so noob about hardwares..what's the easiest way to do it..thank you verymuch

the LCD+MCU devkit is the board with the LCD, processor, and hardware taken cared of already. It's a development board that you write software for without needing to design and build the hardware yourself.

I reasoned that since this is your thesis and you have no idea how to build the hardware, that your thesis is focused on the software part only. By the time you get to your thesis you're supposed to know enough to pull off the main content of your thesis. If your thesis is focused on a part that you have no idea how to do, you're kind of screwed. They don't just throw thesis topics at you that focus on things you've never studied before. If that happens, it's either that you haven't been paying attention in class, or it's not the part of your thesis that you're supposed to work and focus on.

A software student's thesis isn't going to expect him to build a computer then program it. It's trying to figure out if he can write software, not if he can build a computer. He's just going to go out and get a premade computer somewhere and program it. If the student is a computer engineer that needs to know how to build the computer and program it, he'll know how to do both by the time he gets to his thesis. If he doesn't, it means he hasn't been paying attention.

Do you actually need a graphical LCD? Or is a text only LCD good enough? Even text LCDs are tricky to wire up and program from scratch. Graphical LCDs are a quite a bit harder to wire up and MUCH MUCH more difficult to program for from scratch. Either way, whether or not it is a graphical or text LCD, it's not in your best interest to try and wire up an LCD from scratch to your processor. You want an LCD Module of some kind with a processor on board that takes external commands and takes care of all the details of running the LCD itself. And text-only LCD modules are much eaiser to find than graphical LCD modules. But all that is a moot point if you're asking how to wire up the power supply and MCU.

Last edited:
thanks sir...at this point i have to consult to u my thesis idea...feel free to comment on it..:

this is supposed to be an innovation for i believe no one has ever tried it before.
i call it: "Flash Drive to Flash Drive File Sharing Using Bluetooth Technology"

how it works:

Physically, this device is similar to a typical USB Flash drive. It also has a USB connector that is used to plug it in a computer and all other parts that incorporate a normal flash drive except that it has an LCD screen where stored files can be viewed (note: not executed). It is capable of transferring files from one computer to another and from one flash drive to another using Bluetooth. This is convenient in times when there is no computer around to transmit a file.
The screen serves as the seat of the interface where users can view what file they would want to transfer. It is also in the screen where users could determine whether the file transfer has succeeded or not. There would be prompts to tell them.
The power supply would be the stored power the device obtained while plugged in a computer. The pc will then serve as its charger and power would then be stored when unplugged; the Bluetooth flash drive to flash drive function can be done at anytime, and anywhere even without a PC.

it's possible..but..my problem,as i've said, is the prototyping stage where i should present my professors that it could work. by the way,im an IT student, that's why i dunno anything about hardware much.
thanks for your time..please comment on this..thank you sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back