Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HARDWARE?? Guess what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNAB

Hi
I couldn't connect to the internet a few mths back , tried everything but in vain. The problem was there was a distortion that could be easily heard when modem was dialing. Amazing thing was that i got my line checked even by telephone office and i couldnt hear that distortion while talking on the phone .After a lot of time , i found out by my cousin that try connecting to the NET after switching off all the fans!!. It worked , the distortion was gone.However , now its summer and i cant stand the sweating!! I just want to know if someone one who is electronics engineer or has knowledge of both ceiling fans and modems , so that he could tell me whether this interference is due to dimmer of the fan (One thing more, if the dimmer is set to full(maximized), then distortion dissapears)).or is this a problem of the switch of the computer.
Thank you

TheNAB said:
so that he could tell me whether this interference is due to dimmer of the fan (One thing more, if the dimmer is set to full(maximized), then distortion dissapears)).or is this a problem of the switch of the computer.
Thank you

It's due to the dimmer, phase control generates interference, dimmers and speed controllers should have supression components to minimise the problem. Fan's I've seen in the UK don't normally have variable speed control, just a few simple switched speeds - this doesn't cause any interference.

Thanks , i have also found out from some other persons as well that this haens due to dimmers . what can be the exact remedy?i cold use the cat5 cable ,instead of phonewire .will it really help?

TheNAB said:
Thanks , i have also found out from some other persons as well that this haens due to dimmers . what can be the exact remedy?i cold use the cat5 cable ,instead of phonewire .will it really help?

Cure the problem at the source - stop it generating interference, or at least reduce it.

When you say 'dimmer', do you mean you have a light dimmer controlling your fan?.

Yeah usually these dimmers are used in Asia .I aint sure but i thnk u can also use these dimmers for light although there are other special dimmers for light.

TheNAB said:
Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably no one has any idea what you are using?, it's not very hot in the UK, but all the fans I've seen use AC motors and have switched speeds, these cause no interference at all.

If your 'dimmer' is using phase control to set the speed of your fan, it's probably using an AC/DC motor - both the motor and the 'dimmer' will tend to be noisey - and probably radiate from the wires in between them.

Presumably it shouldn't wipe out your internet access, so it sounds likely there may be a fault with it - you need to try any repair it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back