Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hard drive data recovery using microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubdh23

Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to get data from a computer hard drive using microcontrollers? I remember a long time ago seeing a link on this site for an article about how to do it.
If anyone knows where i can find info about this. I would appreciate it.
thanks

cubdh23 said:
Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to get data from a computer hard drive using microcontrollers? I remember a long time ago seeing a link on this site for an article about how to do it.
If anyone knows where i can find info about this. I would appreciate it.
thanks

The main problems are the amount of data involved, you need a considerable amount of RAM to buffer the data read from the drive.

I would think speed would be a much bigger problem

For space, you could transfer data to another PC, while reading the bad hard drive. What i think would be a huge problem would be speed of the microcontroller to read lets say data from a 6 GB hard drive.
At maximum possible baud rate to send retrieved info to a good hard drive
115200 bps. IT would take 6 days nonstop to read and send 6GB of information. Most hard drives these days are 40 GB and 80 GB. I wonder if this reading and sending can be done in parralel to spead things up.
I know of this guy that charges obscene amount of money to retrieve hard drive data that has gone bad. Thats why i was wondering.
I dont know much about microcontrollers that can use USB. perhaps this can speed up the data transfer to a good hard drive?

Re: I would think speed would be a much bigger problem

cubdh23 said:
For space, you could transfer data to another PC, while reading the bad hard drive. What i think would be a huge problem would be speed of the microcontroller to read lets say data from a 6 GB hard drive.
At maximum possible baud rate to send retrieved info to a good hard drive
115200 bps. IT would take 6 days nonstop to read and send 6GB of information. Most hard drives these days are 40 GB and 80 GB. I wonder if this reading and sending can be done in parralel to spead things up.
I know of this guy that charges obscene amount of money to retrieve hard drive data that has gone bad. Thats why i was wondering.
I dont know much about microcontrollers that can use USB. perhaps this can speed up the data transfer to a good hard drive?

You have to read the data in fairly large blocks, so you need to store it before transferring it.

Why not just use a PC to read it?, you have a far faster processor and plenty of memory! - pointless trying to do it with a micro-controller?.

If the PC was able to read the data then there would be no need for data recovery? I know there are software available to retrieve overwritten data and other types of damaged data from hard drive but after a certain point of damage, there is only so much an operating system such as windows will do to get data from that hard drive. Thats why i was thinking maybe a microcontroller could be used as a more brute force method to get the info out of the hard drive when the PC wont do it. I could be completely wrong and probably am wrong with assuming this. This is why i am asking.
thanks

cubdh23 said:
If the PC was able to read the data then there would be no need for data recovery? I know there are software available to retrieve overwritten data and other types of damaged data from hard drive but after a certain point of damage, there is only so much an operating system such as windows will do to get data from that hard drive. Thats why i was thinking maybe a microcontroller could be used as a more brute force method to get the info out of the hard drive when the PC wont do it. I could be completely wrong and probably am wrong with assuming this. This is why i am asking.
thanks

Why mention Windows at all?, boot the PC from a DOS floppy and write programs under DOS to do what you want. By using a PC you have the interface already there, plus plenty of power and memory, and can probably download various existing tools as well.

I doubt the commercially available recovery programs use Windows API calls to try and recover data - they most likely work at a far lower level.

I may be wrong...

but I think he is talking about when even the bios will not detect the hard drive. Perhaps due to faulty or corrupt firmware on the drive itself.

In that case the only option is try to find a replacement pcb from a another hard drive of the same type.

If the firmare/hardware of the drive is damaged it won't interface to anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back