Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hand Crank/Wind Powered Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
People might have seen my other threads..So i've some more basic questions..

I'm trying to make a solar cum handcrank/wind dynamo cell phone charger...

As Mr.audioguru kindly told me, a crank/wind dynamo generates all kinds of voltages ranging from 2V to upto 8V..

So i need a boost/cut power supply regulator IC circuit.. Any ideas on what i could use?

And i'l also like to add that i'm a beginner in electronics and therefore dont have much idea about this...

Last edited:
I did a bit of googling and found out these ICs..

But i dont know if they'l work under constantly varying input voltage and currents...

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Both will be fine as long as the input voltage is above 1.2V and below the output voltage.

You'll to put a large capacitor and possible a diode before the input if you're powering it from a dynamo.

Both will be fine as long as the input voltage is above 1.2V and below the output voltage.

You'll to put a large capacitor and possible a diode before the input if you're powering it from a dynamo.

How do i make the IC give a constant 5V? It says the o/p can be set from 1.2V to 14V but what happens to the current? Will it reduce proportionally?

Yes, the input current goes down as the voltage is increased.

The datasheet should show you how to calculate the required resistors for the desired voltage.

It really depends on how much ripple there is on the power generated by the dynamo which doesn't produce steady DC, but DC with ripple. If it's a three pole motor, the ripple frequency will be six times the rotational frequency and will look like the output of a three phase bridge rectifier but will be a bit more spiky.

I would choose 470µF electrolytic capacitor with a 100nF ceramic capacitor in parallel and increase it, if there are any problems.

Do I need a battery charger IC to detect when the cells are completely charged and stop the charging?

If yes, can u recommend any such ICs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back