Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Halogen light dim running off adapter. why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Re_Animate

I have myself a halogen light from an old torch that used to be the brightest thing in the world.
The battery started leaking and now its pretty much pointless.

no i open it to try see if i can get it running plugged into mains by plugging the adapter's Pos and Neg leads into where the battery's leads were.
Tried to turn it on. nothing. took the whole thing apart and plugged the adapter directly onto the light's leads and it started glowing really dim but nothing happend.

The battery was 6v 4A/hours
The adapter is 9v 500ma

my plan is to get it running off mains now.
why wont the adapter work?
What can I do?

55W at 6V is 9.2 amperes. Your 500mA power supply is..... drum roll.... 1/2 ampere. In normal operation, the battery would supply the operating current, and would be replenished when you weren't using it.

You need a much bigger power supply or just replace the battery.

You need to use a transformer with a high enough VA rating.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a 55VA or even a 60VA 6V transformer but you'll probably be able to get away with 50VA, as long it's it's not used continuously.
**broken link removed**

I found a 75VA 6V transformer but that's probably overkill.
Transformers | Transformers | Chassis Mounting Transformers

Another option is to replace the bulb with a 12V which is a more common voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back