Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hall sensor and BC547

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinW

I found this circuit using 12vdc and considering the Hall Sensor output voltage is equal to operating voltage does the base of the transistor not require a resistor?
Hall Effect.JPG

Depends on the Hall device characteristics. It may have some current-limiting feature internally.

Absolutely, yes!

As well as a series resistor to the base, I'd add a base-emitter resistor to ensuire any residual leakage does not cause problems.

Thanks for the replies, the sensor is A3144.

Digital Output Hall-effect sensor
  • Operating voltage: 4.5V to 28V (typically 5V)
  • Output Current: 25mA
  • Can be used to detect both the poles of a magnet
  • Output voltage is equal to operating voltage
  • Operating temperature: -40°C to 85°C
  • Turn on and Turn off time is 2uS each
  • Inbuilt reverse polarity protection

Output voltage is equal to operating voltage
Actually the A3144 output is open collector, giving a choice of 'operating voltage' and requiring a pull-up resistor.
So the BC547 in the post #1 pic would be redundant if the LED needed less than 25mA.
BTW, the A3144 is obsolete.

A3144 3144E OH3144E Hall Effect Sensor is how it was advertised and they have been shipped so I hope to get them soon.
I slipped a 10k resistor onto the base of the transistor and it seems to be working fine through the transistor without the Hall sensor.
I don't see the need for the transistor when the Hall Sensor is the switch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back