Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hall effect sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping someone could give me a Go/No-Go with this one!

It's my understanding that a Hall Effect sensor detects changes in magnetic fields. It translates these changes into electrical signals that can then be messed around with.

Would it be possible to mount a number of sensors in an array and detect the signal from all of them, and use triangulation technology to work out which sensor(s) have the strongest O/P, and then translate that into a compass bearing! I'm not thinking of a numerical bearing or a grid reference, just North/South/East/West sort of thing, with LEDs or something.

Any comments, (good or bad) would be very welcome with this theory. I'm not sure if it is possible, and I don't know how to go about simulating it to check it, but someone may have had some experience with Hall Effects.

P.S: Some of you may have read my post a few months ago called 'Digital Compass'. This is my current thinking on that project.

It is Quite Easy to make a Digital Compass. And it only requires 1 or 2 Hall effect devices. I do have plans somewhere for one.

Additionally, Sanyo makes a watch that is also a Compass, using this technology.

Take care...........Gary

Thanks for the two web addresses Kent and goodpickles. They are all interesting, and I've learnt some stuff from them!

Gary, I'm very interested in any information you have about the 'ease' of a digital compass with only two sensors. Could you give me some more detail about that please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back