Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Half Bridge Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

yasinji

In my Solenoid driver project I an using IRS2304S half bridge driver to drive solenoid as my input voltage is below 20V and IR2304 works from 10-20V. I have a requirement to operate solenoid from 4V/5V to 25V input. So I am looking for a half bridge driver which can operate from 5V-25V with logic section compatible to IRS2304S. Please help me in finding.. I have searched a lot and went vein so I am seeking professional help. Please help..

Welcome, yasinji!

Even within the Vcc ranges listed, don't see why you can't use a resistive voltage divider at the outputs to achieve the output range(s) you need with your existing IRS2304S.

Although, since you're driving a solenoid (not exactly a "high speed" responding device), why not just use a logic driven simple transistor switch for your driver?

Last edited:
I'm puzzled as to why you need a half-bridge driver for a solenoid? Is it a latching solenoid which requires a reversible supply to latch/unlatch it?

The solenoid is driving from an external 105V source as it requires the same. The Supply voltage what I have is buck converted 25V. I am using a two half bridge connected to solenoid to operate as H bridge so it can opened by driving in one direction using a 105V stored in a capacitor and closed by driving in opposite direction using 45V stored in capacitor as closing requires less voltage.The currently used half bridge driver IC operating supply voltage specification is between 10-20V. The supply voltage is derived from a capacitor which is charged from battery. When battery power is not there my supply will start reducing from 18V to 10V. I am using a 470uf*2no. of capacitor so as my understanding is the discharge time will be ((470uF*2)*(18-10))/(5mA). 5mA is my discharge current and I am getting only nearly 2 sec. I want to increase this 2 Sec to atleast 5Sec. For that I added one more 470uF capacitor and thinking to raise the 18V battery to 24V and selecting a half bridge driver that can operate from 24V to 4V so that I will get ((470uF*3)*(24-4))/5mA = 5.64Sec. I am not sure I am thinking in the right direction. Please help..

I'd try a "super cap". They are remarkably cheap and small. They are, however, generally limited to 5VDC working voltage.

So, a series stack of 4, 1.0F caps will give you an adequate working voltage and plenty of discharge time. Once charged, it shouldn't put too much of a re-charging load on your ciruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back