Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Had my wisdom tooth removed today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fezder

Right, gotta say i was VERY nervous before operation. Dentist also removed some of mine tooth-stone (or what is it in english...) and repaired one hole.
Funny thing is, those two operations were more painful/annoying that removal of that renowned tooth! She just pulled it out quite literally.
we'll see in few days in how big agony i am, currently cheek is numb from that anesthetic-stuff.
Other removal coming up next year, i don't have lower wisdom tooths so we remove upper ones because they serve no purpose
have you guys had any surgeries? this was mine first and so quite remarkable.

We tend to call then cavities. The dentist calls them dental carries. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_caries

No chocolate! No Coffee! No sucking through straws! Get ice on your cheek before it hurts. Have plenty of Neutrament or similar **broken link removed** on hand.

My first 4 extractions occurred in a hospital under general anesthesia. 2.5 days. some 40+ years ago to make room for braces. They were bicuspids and one came in the roof of the mouth. Then the tooth next to one of the extractions decayed from the inside out. It was root canaled and then extracted. The bridge failed 2x. so a grade school classmate recommended an implant. A different process back in the mid 90's. It was a comedy of errors. Site gets infected. Antibiotics prior, opened up, irrigated, antibiotics after. The way they did it ten was to drill and screw in the abutment, cover it completely and let it heal for 6 months. Then they open it again and insert a screw that protrudes through the gum called a "healing screw". Then I went to see my classmate that was going to do the restoration and the gum grew over the screw. Now, the same 3 month process again thid time the oral surgeon changed the size tool needed. Then the tool was too short and the crown had to go back about 2x. Dentist forgot to check side to side clearance, SO 6 MONTH OF TEETH SHIFTING.

Then I had a mess of dental problems a few years ago and I now have a new "replacement" periodontist because of the dental problems. My old periodontist retired and the new one's staff kept breaking teeth, so he's history.

They (periodontists, oral surgeons) now extract and place and either fill with cadaver bone or your bone (bone graft). I had both, The extract and place failed and had to be done the hard way. The hole was filed in with cadaver bone and then left to heal. then re-drilled. Healing screw is integral but later is made larger. Then I had another done in a two step process. Extract, bone graft, heal, drill, insert, heal, then larger healing screw and restoration. Two are removable, one is cemented onto the abutment. #3 came loose and I had laser gum surgery to remove some tissue. Some of those procedures were done using Nitrous Oxide. Your awake, but more relaxed.

I saw an orthodontist (teeth straightener) when I was 6 years old.

Then there was tonsils removed in the hospital using ether that you breathed through a screen. Had a few cryosurgery wart removals and recently (days ago) cryosurgery to remove a pre-cancerous skin growth. In two weeks, it should fall off. In 4 weeks, I'll know if I need the scalpel. I had an arm set when I was six. Both bones came out of the socket. The saw is weird https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlik...when_getting_a_cast_cut_off_how_does_the_saw/ I had the cast for 6 months.

Something called "crown lengthening", a.k.a. Jaw bone lowering surgery is probably the most painful after the #1 procedure of a root canal or (4 of them in one tooth).
They open the gum and take some jaw bone off and close it back up. Talk about aching.

Fezder, Good luck. It starts to hurt in about 6 hours. Take pain meds prior to the pain starting and so to with the ice. nearly immediately.

Hi Fez

I'm sure you'll feel much better for having read that :)

The last time I went to the dentist I discovered my sons had offered him £50 to stitch the hole up ! :D

S

surprisingly i haven't yet needed to eat painkillers or use ice, had one minor ache but we'll see in six hours when i go to sleep...

Oh,and a wisdom tooth. The periodontist said, I need as many teeth I can get. The dentist said it's difficult for him to work on. My classmate said, he had no problem.

And don't forget all of those baby teeth pulled with a doorknob and string.

Hmm, i didn't even get any painkillers but i was recommended to buy special mouthwash, wasn't that expensive, about 6 euroes bottle (100ml). Funny thing is, this liquid isn't meant for long-term use (can effect tasting-ablities and can cause stains....what?) and it's only to be used for 7 days. Well i have another wisdom tooth pulling coming out next year, at least i have mouthwash for that too! if lucky, it'll go as easily as this one too

Over the years my uppers went one by one. I finally broke down and looked at all sorts of dentures. Finally I settled on upper implants and several weeks ago had the surgery. Titanium screws into the bone secure my full set of uppers, four screws in all. They are permanent and in a few more months I will be eating steak, ribs and finally after years corn on the cob. I also had the mouthwash for the first 7 days. It was either dentures or implants and I opted for the implants, cost more but permanently in there. :) Now I am not embarrassed and the grand kids won't have a toothless grandpa.

Ron

How much will be the final cost of that upper set.?

How much will be the final cost of that upper set.?

The final cost which I already paid was $24,000 USD. I debated this long and hard. Kathy (my wife) and I had the money and even she said to have it done. Dentures averaged from cheap $4,000 to expensive at $12,000 and as soon as you start getting into implants the cost is high. My daughter-in-law is a dental hygienist and it's like she said, "dad you can buy a nice used truck for the cost but they are worth the investment". I about died when I saw what the cost was going to be. Told Kathy if I die anytime soon to rip the things out before she buries me. :)

I really am looking forward to enjoying a steak and ribs as well as corn on the cob, I was serious about that. Following the surgery you start with soft and slowly work into hard bites. They totally put me to sleep for the surgery and most of it is done in a day, all the cutting and bone work anyway. The entire process? About six months. My eating habits were starting to really suffer and face it, being toothless is embarrassing. Anyway, all in all it was $24,000 USD.

This is who I used and was very happy.

Ron

Phew, quite expensive operations :/

Jose Mourinho, the recently deposed Chelsea FC manager has had all of his teeth removed .. .. .. .

It's reported that he'd like to become coach to an international football team .. .. .. . removing the teeth will make room for the seats ! :)

I also had an operation.
I frequently felt tingling in my upper chest for a year. My doctor wrongly said it was not my heart. Two months later when I was 64 years old I had a massive heart attack and in the hospital they said two of the four arteries that feed my heart were blocked and must be fixed immediately. I watched and it was fun. The tools were inserted into a hole they made in my groin and were pushed up an artery to my heart, then "you will feel warmth" when they injected radioactive stuff in me so we could see the blocked arteries. They put a metal mesh tube (a stent) into each blockage and inflated it with a balloon. I was immediately fixed and felt fine ever since (it was 6 years ago). Since there was no delay (the hospital is close to home and my wife drove me there) then no damage was done to my heart. I can run fast, jump high and leap far. I can almost fly like a bird. I laugh at my age (70).
This is Canada so it was free for me and my government (and my taxes) paid for the operation and checkups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back