Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hacking a Computer Keyboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICMICRO

I need a keyboard for my Electronic Password Door System. Instead of making my own awkward looking keyboard by soldering a button array, I have decided to use numeric computer keyboard. Like this.
**broken link removed**
The problem is all of them come with USB interface and not PS/2.
So I ripped open it in the hope that I can fit my PIC inside it and implement matrix button reading sequence.
There are 20 keys, but the controller there seems to be decoding all of them using only 8 lines.
I thought, the maximum no. of keys that you can decode by using (4+4 = 8) lines is just 4X4 = 16 keys.

So, certainly there is something I am missing regarding reading button arrays. What might be it?
I also need to decode the keys using 8 lines.

Nice keypads. Thanks, binzer.
In the mean time I further Ripped the numeric keypad, and saw familiar 5X4 matrix arrangement. So, it seems 9 lines (5+4) are being used, 1 line being hidden from my sight. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back